Church of Climbing

EWolfe

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the thread drift, now can we get back on subject?

As a user group and coalition, a religious doctrine would strengthen our stand.

What are some of the experiences that enlighten or doctrines of climbing as a religious experience? Please be serious.

Experiences that Enlighten:

1. Connection to the Earth

2. Celebration of life

3. Trust

Others?

Move this crap to spray...you guys don't know from religion! rabbi_shmuel_krantz.jpg

rabbi_shmuel_krantz.jpg

"Don't bogart that joint, my friend...

Pass it Over to me."

What are some of the experiences that enlighten or doctrines of climbing as a religious experience? Please be serious.

Experiences that Enlighten:

1. Connection to the Earth

2. Celebration of life

3. Trust

Others?

Seriously...

Isn't an intense focus in the pursuit of The Goal one of the tenets of both religion and climbing?

Kosher cigarette Dawg?

Depends on your perspective. Here are some:

Is Smoking Kosher?

azhara2_wa.jpg

Israeli cigarette warning labels in Hebrew:

Clockwise from top left: Cigarettes hurt your physical fitness; Cigarette smoke hurts your children and those around you; Smoking causes premature aging of facial skin;

Each cigarette brings 43 carcinogenic substances into your body.)

It's not new. I am merely trying to define and organize spiritual fulfillment that already exists.

I am a Taoist, so it seems natural to me.

Thanks, Buckaroo. :)...

If it can be defined it is not genuine Tao.

Tao is the opposite of defined and organized. if it already is so why must you make it so?

for reals though, i am down with the church of climbing. in thinking about it many of the Taoist principles apply as do many of the principles of druidism. I am personally torn. On one hand i can see that it would be of our benefit and give us "spiritual ground" to stand on when people of other faiths proclaim that we can not climb on their rocks because it is against their religion...

If climbers could actually work together and have some kind of coalition a lobby and gain some political influence we could work towards our own agenda rather than being at the whim of others who do not understand our needs.

on a more spiritual side of things, it is my firm belief that god hates it when you pray inside a building. he created this beautiful diverse amazing planet and people go INSIDE a building to pray to god... i have never understood that. seems like blasphemy to me.

can i write the book and be a guru and travel all over the world spreading the word? that would make me so happy :cool:

If climbers could actually work together and have some kind of coalition a lobby and gain some political influence we could work towards our own agenda rather than being at the whim of others who do not understand our needs.

fuck that. What is "our" agenda? Fortunately, I doubt very much the climbing community is cohesive enough for this to work. The last thing I want is some fucking group to decides what "our agenda" is.

Climbing is a way of communing with the very nature of existance. Standing atop a remote summit, viewing the world, I am reminded of the complete and utter insignifigance of humanity, and I am awed by the beautiful, but simple fact, that the universe even exists at all.

Humans and all the bullshit emotions and rules and laws and definitions that we cling to completely ruin that emptiness. Climbing as a religion must be equally without formal rules, organization or dogma, lest you destroy the very thing that makes it special.

:yoda: