• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Cpt.Caveman

What is the best beer on Earth

Guinness is the best-on tap preferred, but otherwise from the can, the bottle is to bitter.

Black Butte Porter also good

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

I find myself going into any bar/restaurant asking two questions

1-What is the darkest beer you have?(When they say miller I leave or have a water)

2-What is the hottest thing you got? The beer doesn't help with the real hot food so you keep drinking more. Note: Truly hot food means you can't really taste the beer, thus the light mexican beers you see in general, I don't know what Canada's excuse is. wink.gif

And when I am too gummed up with dirt etc to drink a dark beer I go for a honey mead or a cider to cut the gumminess and still get launched on the sweet candy.

On tap? Pilsner Urquel. or Maritime Pacific's dark wheat, if it's available.

Bottled? Portland Brewing's McTarnahan's Scottish. Or Bridgeport.

It's interesting no one's mentioned Grants, since they started the whole microbrew thing in the PNW. I don't care for their ales, though, too hoppy and kind of sour.

I like that beer in grocery stores thing in the USA.

Does Pyramid still make that Espresso Stout? That was some good beer.

Hey Canadians, is it true you can get a free case of beer if you find a mouse in your bottle? Where can we get Elsinore? I hear it is great with "JELLIES" eh?

How bout those speed cooler things they have in the beer stores in Can. Beer warm, put beer in cold water, wait, take beer out, beer cold. Drink beer.

The best beer on earth use to be Schmidt, now it is Schmidt Ice.

When I first started climbing, my partner and I would drive up to index after work, climb routes until dusk, then polish off a half rack of Schmidt Ice in the parking lot before driving home to our wives. Now, I'm divorced and he's in AA. Still at the end of along day of climbing nothing beats a schmitty.

[This message has been edited by mark (edited 06-28-2001).]

I used to brew some kick-ass beer myself, and my Scottish ale stood up well next to Grant's. Beware, though, home-brewing is a sure-fire way to pack on some seriously unwanted pounds.

Many years ago on a trip to do the Olympic Beach traverse a guy I was driving with bought a glass of Budweiser in a restaurant in Keystone, WA while waiting for the ferry. He went off to the john and we drank 99% of his beer out of the glass and filled the glass back up with water. He couldn't/didn't notice a difference!

Mickey's.....Mickey's Big Mouth...in fact, I had a few for breakfast this very morning.

- Dwayner

The best beer is the one you have in your hand. Even better than that is the free beer you have in your hand!

my brother-in-law once brought me some "Labatts Velvet Cream Stout" which I really enjoyed. next time I got to Canada, tried to get more, and was told Labatts don't make no such brew... go figure...

winter time, Paulaner Salvatore is generally pretty good - said to be the most "popular" beer in the world..., Grant's Russian Imperial Stout, and, of course, Guinness

summer - I like bitter ales, Red Hook ESB or Bachelor Bitter -

but I gotta admit, the one you forgot at the bottom of the haul-bag is always the best - especially if you forgot the Cuban cigar that went with it!!!

Pyramid Snow Cap in the winter

Molson Canadian in the summer. We'll have to hold up bombing the brewery when we take over BC. Actually most beer is fine with me except Bud and its byproducts.

Guinness is a stout, so that doesn't really count as a beer. Thus, my choice would have to be McNally's Extra Ale by Big Rock Brewery. 7% alcohol per volume and a great rich taste.

I'm salivating...

------------------

Drop by and visit Spud's Travels at http://www.spudstravels.com

Bob and Doug were Canada pre-craft brewing ( I won't say microbrwing since those breweries are pretty big now). Molsons and Labatts eh. I prefer Kokanee if I have to drink corporate beer. A bud in every bottle!

If any of you Pac Nor'westers ever make it to the East Coast to climb at the Gunks -- in the fall -- drop by the Gilded Otter Brewery in Downtown New Paltz and have Rachel mix you up a "Stumpkin": one part seasonal Pumpkin Ale, one part (award-winning) Stonehouse Stout, all brewed on the premises. Absolutely sublime!

Did anyone happen to mention Mickey's Big Mouth?.....wait a minute....I already did....

sorry, amigos

- Dwayner, counting change from under the sofa cushion and seeing if there be enough to justify a walk to 7-11 for a refill.

Black Butte Porter at the Deschutes Brewery in Bend after a day of fall climbing at Smith Rock!!!!!!

Pyramid Hef with a thick slice of lemon on the deck in the sun.

Seems like when we're out drinkin' and ordering that extra unnecessary pitcher, it is usually RedHook ESB.

Why drink a loaf of bread in a can (however dark and delicious) when the refreshment of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is available? If the alcohol is less, it leaves much more room for the next beer. When hypovolemia threatens-reach for the Pilsner that sassifies!