What is the best beer on Earth

Cpt.Caveman

Guinness is the best-on tap preferred, but otherwise from the can, the bottle is to bitter.

Black Butte Porter also good

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

I find myself going into any bar/restaurant asking two questions

1-What is the darkest beer you have?(When they say miller I leave or have a water)

2-What is the hottest thing you got? The beer doesn't help with the real hot food so you keep drinking more. Note: Truly hot food means you can't really taste the beer, thus the light mexican beers you see in general, I don't know what Canada's excuse is. wink.gif

And when I am too gummed up with dirt etc to drink a dark beer I go for a honey mead or a cider to cut the gumminess and still get launched on the sweet candy.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On tap? Pilsner Urquel. or Maritime Pacific's dark wheat, if it's available.

Bottled? Portland Brewing's McTarnahan's Scottish. Or Bridgeport.

It's interesting no one's mentioned Grants, since they started the whole microbrew thing in the PNW. I don't care for their ales, though, too hoppy and kind of sour.

The best beer on earth use to be Schmidt, now it is Schmidt Ice.

When I first started climbing, my partner and I would drive up to index after work, climb routes until dusk, then polish off a half rack of Schmidt Ice in the parking lot before driving home to our wives. Now, I'm divorced and he's in AA. Still at the end of along day of climbing nothing beats a schmitty.

[This message has been edited by mark (edited 06-28-2001).]

Many years ago on a trip to do the Olympic Beach traverse a guy I was driving with bought a glass of Budweiser in a restaurant in Keystone, WA while waiting for the ferry. He went off to the john and we drank 99% of his beer out of the glass and filled the glass back up with water. He couldn't/didn't notice a difference!

my brother-in-law once brought me some "Labatts Velvet Cream Stout" which I really enjoyed. next time I got to Canada, tried to get more, and was told Labatts don't make no such brew... go figure...

winter time, Paulaner Salvatore is generally pretty good - said to be the most "popular" beer in the world..., Grant's Russian Imperial Stout, and, of course, Guinness

summer - I like bitter ales, Red Hook ESB or Bachelor Bitter -

but I gotta admit, the one you forgot at the bottom of the haul-bag is always the best - especially if you forgot the Cuban cigar that went with it!!!

If any of you Pac Nor'westers ever make it to the East Coast to climb at the Gunks -- in the fall -- drop by the Gilded Otter Brewery in Downtown New Paltz and have Rachel mix you up a "Stumpkin": one part seasonal Pumpkin Ale, one part (award-winning) Stonehouse Stout, all brewed on the premises. Absolutely sublime!

Black Butte Porter at the Deschutes Brewery in Bend after a day of fall climbing at Smith Rock!!!!!!

Pyramid Hef with a thick slice of lemon on the deck in the sun.

Seems like when we're out drinkin' and ordering that extra unnecessary pitcher, it is usually RedHook ESB.