Casting Call

John Frieh

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

On the whole, it seems to me that skilled tradesmen tend to do pretty well. I don't have the stats handy, but I'd guess that their annual take-home is comparable to that of most engineers in non-management roles, if a bit more variable from one year to the next. Once you subtract the value of at least four years of lost wages plus the cost of student-loans plus interest, I'd imagine that things get even closer to parity.

Add more flexibility, the ability to work pretty much anywhere, and the fact that it's essentially outsource proof and a career in one of the trades looks even better.

Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but not a bad gig, and has to have one of the better R.O.I.'s of any modern profession.

On the whole, it seems to me that skilled tradesmen tend to do pretty well. I don't have the stats handy, but I'd guess that their annual take-home is comparable to that of most engineers in non-management roles, if a bit more variable from one year to the next. Once you subtract the value of at least four years of lost wages plus the cost of student-loans plus interest, I'd imagine that things get even closer to parity.

Add more flexibility, the ability to work pretty much anywhere, and the fact that it's essentially outsource proof and a career in one of the trades looks even better.

Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but not a bad gig, and has to have one of the better R.O.I.'s of any modern profession.

A downside is that a few decades in the trades, particularly in those that are more demanding on the practitioner, physically, is that potentially one is left with a trashed body.

Sorry John you ain't blue collar not by a long shot.
I think that NOLSe's point was that he's a working stiff...

I can empathize sitting here in this fucking cube...yeah, its not "blue collar" in the true sense of the word, but you can't argue that its just another form of a wage-slave working for your daily bread.

Sorry John you ain't blue collar not by a long shot.
I think that NOLSe's point was that he's a working stiff...

I can empathize sitting here in this fucking cube...yeah, its not "blue collar" in the true sense of the word, but you can't argue that its just another form of a wage-slave working for your daily bread.

ding ding ding we have a winner

Its not my fault you chose an obsolete profession

obsolete? last time i checked buildings were still being built houses were still being built and or repaired and remodled. bridges are being built and sometimes repaird city streets and highways are being rebuilt. cows still need to be herded and looked after and food has to be grown. there is nothing derogitory about being a blue collar worker. that is part of the problem with generation x americans on the whole. no one wants to get thier hands dirty.