Rope Up 2007

olyclimber

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So again, I'm headed up today to Ropeup (Group camp at eight mile), leaving between 2-3. Unfortunately it doesn't look like we're have room in our vehicle (a two passenger truck). I know lots of people are headed up, so just post here if you need a ride!

If you get there before I do, if the campground host asks, let them I know I'm bringing a check up to pay for the camping fee. I'm heading up with a keg of hefe and a keg of IPA. Bring a cup! We can start in on it tonight.

Slide show starts at 7pm Saturday night

Remember

I'm going to stop by Costco and buy some sausages and buns and other fixing for eating on Saturday night, so we'll feed ya that night. I probably am not going to have budget for vegetarian stuff, so bring something if that is your thing. If you can (not required) bring something to share Saturday night! You need to provide your own food for the rest of the time.

Gear Give Away We're going to have a gear raffle. You just need to show up and put your name on a ticket (tickets are free). This will be Saturday night during the slideshow. We'll give away a pack or two and some other stuff.

REMEMBER: Bring some firewood for the campfire!

ooooooooooooOOOOOOOO:snugtop:

Ropeup2007B1.jpg

The weather just keeps getting better and better. Looks like people will actually be able to get some climbing done (unlike some previous drizzely Ropeups). Looking forward to hearing about some epics on Outerspace Saturday night!

http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/USWA0227?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared

Sounds good, Rad. I'd like to socialize this evening, so here's to hoping somebody's still "up" when we get there.

I'll be looking to climb easy routes tomorrow, if anybody's interested. I'll bring a rope and a rack. I don't want to climb with Bug because he was rude on the board once (just kidding).

btw, all kidding aside, there were a couple people who were interested in climbing easier stuff this weekend. I got your PM's and just went back to see who you were but I have too many PM's and couldn't find you.

I am 5'10" with brown hair with a little gray in front. I will probably be wearing a yellow Sundog baseball cap.

I am happy to share what I know. It is dated compared to a lot of guys on this site but it is time tested and safe.

I answer to Bug or Keith.

And I don't really drink or do drugs while I climb.

I'm headed over this evening from the 'Ham and have room for 1.

Blake or anyone in town need a ride? Coming back Sunday late afternoon.

Hey Kurt, there's a carpool of 3 of us already going from B-ham and Mt. Vernon tonight. We can take a couple more as well if needed. Thanks a lot though! see you over there tonight. I think we are going to Ozone tomorrow if you are interested.

btw, all kidding aside, there were a couple people who were interested in climbing easier stuff this weekend. I got your PM's and just went back to see who you were but I have too many PM's and couldn't find you.

I am 5'10" with brown hair with a little gray in front. I will probably be wearing a yellow Sundog baseball cap.

I am happy to share what I know. It is dated compared to a lot of guys on this site but it is time tested and safe.

I answer to Bug or Keith.

And I don't really drink or do drugs while I climb.

Our little group was planning on doing R&D and then climbing up at BOB Wall. If you are a newbie and would like to try an easy multipitch (5.6), meet us at Snow Creek Parking Lot at 9 am or at Icicle Buttress parking area at 9:15 am. Edited by catbirdseat

That was great time! The weather was F'ing PERFECT.

Thanks to Doug Klewin and his sons for showing slides. Also thanks to Jim Nelson, Matt Perkins, Blake Herrington and Carl Johnson (thats your last name ,right Carl?) for showing as well. Big thanks to Ketch for bringing up the AV gear, and Blake and Kurt Hicks for the computers.

Thanks to everyone who showed up and helped drain the kegs! We did the job, I'm just drinking the dregs of the pint of the Hefe that was left over.

Also thanks to those that brought firewood and cooking stuff. And "dragon", that can of corn was a hit.

I'll bring more food next year, those brats went quick!

Thanks to all those that fetched a beer for the cripple.

Lets see some pictures! Either from climbing or the party, whatever.

Thanks to my buddy Rat for coming to Ropeup and being my friend 4 ever. I'm going to come visit you soon.

Super fun times! I'm not a rope-up virgen any more...:blush:

Big thanks to all who helped make it happen.

I took a few climbing pics on Blake's camera. Maybe he and/or Mythosgrl will post a few.

Edited by Rad

Hot times in Leavenworth. Somehow, the force was with us and we had good weather for showing slides in the great outdoors Saturday night.

Ropeup_2007_a.jpg

But wait: there’s more. Rad wanted to see climbing pictures. I teamed up with Kurt Hicks and party for a low stress day on Saturday, and it was SPECTACULAR. Here’s Kurt leading a slab route (I don’t remember the name or it):

Ropeup2007_c.jpg

And here’s Natasha on Castle rock:

ropeup_2007_b.jpg

After a quick breakfast, we headed back out on Sunday, crack of noon.

Ropeup_2007_e.jpg

Sunday, more climbing.

Ropeup_2007_f.jpg

A great weekend, as always, and I got to meet a bunch of new folks. Thanks, cc.com; thanks, Porter.

ropeup_2007_d.jpg

As always, cc.com outings are a true:

ropeup_dogs.jpg

Thanks all who helped out, and to the slideshow presenters.

I must say the tone is a WHOLE lot different than the tufflove fests at smith with the cc.com crew. Not as openly friendly of a crew...which seems to be very Seattle

good times - sorry i missed you mike (too busy epic'ing on hyperspace (thanks for the idea too, bastard!)) - rain on friday mornign but managed to find castle rock all to ourselves - did the bone, damnation and crack of doom, none of which i'd done before - sunday was so wasted from getting in at 2 a.m that we just did some stuff at careno for a few hours until the yellow-jackets became too menacing to stand

woa! 2am return from Hyperspace??? I want to hear this story!

:grlaf:

not much too it - a long hard route on a fall day - we didn't start until the sun hit the wall - dan voted to cut off onto galaxy when we were an hour and a half from dark but it was my lead and i was obstinate (a long drive from pdx afterall!) - the belay i'd set up made it hard to get in the right side of the pressure chamber and i spent a long time in a supertight squeeze chimney to the left - dan finished his pitch to just below the exit crack/roof as it got dark - the belay was too far left for us to haul the pack w/o a 2nd rope, and i spent a long time feeling pissed and stuck - eventually went to prusik but the rope was too skinny for my cords - went skittering off into the inky blackness at one point, rope rubbing across a sharp edge - ah! - climbing by headlamp is not fast - we probably topped out around 1000 or so - was only my 2nd descent off the wall and it was a bit tricker at night - missed the turnoff for traversing over to orbit and the base of the wall - ended up much lower down and had to hike back up a bunch to get the backs - a fun day, it's good to know you can still do the hard shit when the conditions are less than optimal, no?

a great climb - lots of wild places - the step around the edge onto iconoclast - the steep, chossy bit below the belay/cutoff for library ledge - my favorite was leading the double cracks, where i could stem way the hell out on the knife-edge of the dihedral (beacon training in effect!) - the climb def gets harder the higher up you go