Headlamp review

layton

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

Let's dig this old dog up again...

Petzl now has the Tikka plus! Like the P-Tec Auruora, with I think, one major advantge. The switch is recessed, so harder to turn off in you pack.

Also the new Myo family rox. LED and Halogen in one, with... AA batteries. YAY!

Yeah, I saw this new Tikka Plus, This thing is cool. They addressed everything that sucked about the normal Tikka, which was no tilt and no multiple light settings. With the one extra LED I think they have one-upped p.tec. I still think the recessed switch argument is bogus, cause I've never seen the switch on the aurora get accidentally pushed, but whatever. Have you tried the switch? Is it reasonably operated? The one on the originally tikkas really sucked, IMHO, as it was very hard to operate.

And, agreed, the new Myos rule. I have the Myo 5 and it's the leading full featured headlamp in my opinion.

erik said:

dang josh, you buy more new gear then anyone i know...myself included.....

LOL. I know, it's a fucking weakness. There needs to be a support group for it or something. I've been in to gadgets and crap since I was a little kid. The only thing that has changed is the gadgets have gotten pricier. Geek_em8.gif

and, truth be told, I've been known to return a thing or two as well. I figure if something new comes out than the old thing no longer meets my high expectations. hahaha.gifcantfocus.gif

trask said:

no shit Josh. REI customer service people run when they see me coming. i've returned damn near everything i've ever bought.

I figure it's the only reason to buy shit there. It's not like they have good prices or helpful advice. hahaha.gif

trask said:

fuckin A. whenever i buy expensive arcteryx shit, or scarpa boots, or anything else over about $50, i make a point of buying it at rei for the return policy. you're crazy not to.

No doubt, man. When they say "lifetime guarantee" or 100% satisfaction guaranteed they better damn well mean it. Most people might not take advantage of it, which is why the offer it, but I plan on it. If somebody is going to tell me it's guarnateed for life, well, shit, it's going back as soon as I've worn it out.

JoshK said:

trask said:

fuckin A. whenever i buy expensive arcteryx shit, or scarpa boots, or anything else over about $50, i make a point of buying it at rei for the return policy. you're crazy not to.

No doubt, man. When they say "lifetime guarantee" or 100% satisfaction guaranteed they better damn well mean it. Most people might not take advantage of it, which is why the offer it, but I plan on it. If somebody is going to tell me it's guarnateed for life, well, shit, it's going back as soon as I've worn it out.

evils3d.gif Damn straight Cooter!!! My shit goes back the minute it loses it's luster. HooEee!!!!

JoshK said:

trask said:

It's been my experience that you can't just saunter in, lay your gear on the counter and pleasantly request a new one. The terminology I've found works best is " I am totally unsatisfied with this product and demand a refund/exchange/replacement" in a stern voice, of course. Otherwise they will tell you they don't carry that anymore or send you here or there or try to help you fix it so it can break on another climb. Seriously, it's not like returning a hammer to Sears where they just gladly say, "get another off the rack" REI makes you work for it a bit and you may need to get a little nasty. evils3d.gif

hammer to Sears where they just gladly say, "get another off the rack" REI makes you work for it a bit and you may need to get a little nasty.

they dont even do that anymore... went in to replace my drill and the guy said he wouldn't cause i didn't have the cardboard box... WTF? so i asked to speak with the manager...he said i couldn't... so i just barged into her office and she gave me my fucking drill... great customer service... that used to be the only reason i went in there... i have herd that REI is going the same way...

rr666 said:

My current Petzl works sometime, and it was really annoying finding this out a 1000 feet up the nose..

Neither of your Petzls work for shit, man. Everytime we go out they don't work.

I saw the Tikka Plus recently and it looks like an improvement of the Tikka (which I like). If I get another one, I'd look at the Tikka Plus; PMS has them, I think.

The new Tikka Plus is great:

POSITIVE:

adjustable head

4 LED's

4 light settings (Bright, Medium, Low, and flashing)

The bright setting has a "good" focal point

NEGATIVE:

Turn-on button can be easily turned on when in pack (old version worked better)

Battery tended to burn faster on high setting

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif/5

• 2 weeks later...

The Petzel Myo series is stupid and $$. Don't buy it. The Gemini by Black Diamond is cheaper, lighter, longer burn time, one less battery. The Myo is slightly brighter in LED mode, and with similar bulbs, the halogens are equally bright (the gemini come with a less bright one attached, w/the brighter one as a spare).

After exhaustive research I claim the tikka to be the best lamp for anything but night climbing/route finding. and the gemini the lamp to bring when you'll be fighting for the bivy/car in the darkness.

Thinker: was it the new Gemini? I use an old one (single LED) for caving, and I supplement the LED with an Aurora. I'd like to get the double LED to use as my primary light (rather than supplementing it with an Aurora)

Also, for caving, I don't think I'd like the different angles of the LED and incandescent of the Myo series.