[TR] chillawack - direct NE buttress, slesse 8/31/2007

jwrockport

Trip: chillawack - direct NE buttress, slesse

Date: 8/31/2007

Trip Report:

this is my first posting. I use this site alot and have not seen much on slesse this summer, so I thought the info might be appreciated. We did the direct NE buttres on slesse yesterday. We climbed as 3-some (me, my wife, and a friend)My friend , Dave Oleske was filming for the "Direct Becky Project" which will be a documentary on Fred's life. Check it out by googling "through a childs eyes productions" (he needs funding)

anyway, the route went slower as a filming threesome , but we still made back to the car at the base (car shuttle) in a day (23 hours) . The route was great, kind of non-descript and dirty in places on the lower 3rd with lots of variations possible, and then great finishing pitches. All the crashing icefalls in the area add alot of alpine feel and noise to the climb. The descent was ...well..just like all the books say, long and steep but with a pretty good trail.

Everyone can read the books, the real reason I am writing this is to comment on the approach.

Gear Notes:

Medium rack to 3

we used twin ropes for 3 people, and they were nice but not totally needed for the descent raps

no ice axe, no crampons

dont forget the headlamp

Approach Notes:

We took the standard approach in the book, except we missed the lower cut-off trail to the by-pass glacier abd found ourselves at the propeller carin in 2 hours from the car. We hiked up and down looking for the lower tral and finally just ended up traversing at about 450 meters, through the trees, arround to the bypass glacier. THE BYPASS GLACIER HAS SLID, yeeeehaw. There are still a few big ice cubes, but you can basically cruise accross the slabs in your sneakers.

Edited by jwrockport

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...