Soft Shell Jackets

wdietsch

Have you tried to find a Cloudveil Schoeller jacket on sale? The Serendipity is the one I have and love it as long as it's not raining. Ice climbing and skiing are no problem in it. I bought it a few years ago for %40 off at an outdoor stores summer sale. I wouldn't buy it at normal price though. It is a bit pricey. $$$ moon.gif

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sphinx said:

allison said:

Dryskin and PS are totally different fabrics. I have the Ferratta and will be adding an REI One jacket to it in the fall. I think the One will be better for skiing and it's way more styling for wearing around town. yellaf.gif

...and it fits like a garbage sack... thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif

The Women's One fits like a garbage sack? Well, that's amazing! It's looked great on everyone I've seen it on, even little old me. Geek_em8.gif

Beck said:

Powershield relies on "discontinous glue laminate" to provide breathability, it doesn't breathe thru the fusion of the inner and outer shells. Quite a bit different from a bicomponent weave .....

but but but:

the inner fleece is breathable

the outer stretch layer is breathable

the glue binding the layers is not breathable

so they use a glue grid to bond the two instead of a continuous layer

its not the discontinuous glue layer that makes it breathable so much as it doesnt make it unbreathable, if ya see the difference.

It looks fine when you are standing with your arms at your sides. Now try lifting your arms above your head, as if you're climbing. Yes, that's right, the hem raises about 8 inches, and the sleeves pull back so your forearm is exposed. Excellent. Now take a fall in powder, head-first, arms stretched out. Wonderful. Due to a lack of cuff seals, now your forearms are encased with snow. Yummy. Go buy the thing, I don't care.

allison said:

Sphinx said:

It looks fine when you are standing with your arms at your sides. Now try lifting your arms above your head, as if you're climbing.

So I said I was going to get it for skiing. I don't climb unless it's sunny, and even then, well.... tongue.gif

Yes, that's right, the hem raises about 8 inches, and the sleeves pull back so your forearm is exposed. Excellent. Now take a fall in powder, head-first, arms stretched out. Wonderful. Due to a lack of cuff seals, now your forearms are encased with snow. Yummy.

Um, I wear these things on my hands when I am skiing, I think they are called gloves. They have these gauntlet doohickey things on them, and that keeps the snow out. They work real good! tongue.gif

Go buy the thing, I don't care.

Whew, thanks, can I? fruit.gif

There are better jackets for the money. rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

The Cloudveil softshell rawks. Got one last fall, and it was the main jacket for about everything through the winter. I think it looks like crap, personally, the dull purple-blue color sucks...but it's like a second skin! rockband.gifGeek_em8.gif

Shpinx, she said everything she needed to say with "it looks great...blah...blah", proving once again that REI is hitting it's target audience perfectly. rolleyes.gif

In any event, MEC makes a powershield top that I got. fits great, performs, great, and is very cheap. I don't wear powershield around town, so I don't know how it looks. hahaha.gifthe_finger.gif

for camoflage soft shells the clandestine climber needs to visit cabela's

and powershield doesn't breathe thru the glue, dru-

that makes it inherently less breathable than a fabric that is uniform bicomponent construction like scholler dryskin,skifans, dynamic, or Tweave. or 60/40 parka, one of the earlier soft shells-

if anyone knows where to buy a scholler blazer, i'm looking for one for around townwear... and some people look flattering in clothes that are shaped like garbage sacks fruit.gif hence the desire to own one

Beck said:

and powershield doesn't breathe thru the glue, dru-

duh, that was my point too, what exactly are we arguing about? it breathes exactly the right amount for winter ice climbing, cragging and spring alpine climbing

sorry, Dru, I got a little confused by this one-

the inner fleece is breathable

the outer stretch layer is breathable

the glue binding the layers is not breathable

so they use a glue grid to bond the two instead of a continuous layer

its not the discontinuous glue layer that makes it breathable so much as it doesnt make it unbreathable, if ya see the difference.

--------------------

dru is crazy

but I'm imagining most people don't know powershield is really two fabrics glued togther, just keeping it real - i didn't think we were arguing dru...

Edited by Beck

Question: why can't anybody come up with a scholler-type fabric that is truely windPROOF, but cool enough to wear hiking in to a climb in summer? Most of these soft shell things blow due to their lack of windproofness. For example, the Serendipity is not much more windproof than fleece! Give me a break!

Sphinx said:

Question: why can't anybody come up with a scholler-type fabric that is truely windPROOF, but cool enough to wear hiking in to a climb in summer? Most of these soft shell things blow due to their lack of windproofness. For example, the Serendipity is not much more windproof than fleece! Give me a break!

my schoeller jacket is windproof yellaf.gif

if you are hikin in to a REAL climb in summer (eg. not to Exit 38) you will be sweating no matter how much wind is blowing in any type of jacket if you are dumb enough to wear one yellaf.gifboxing_smiley.gif

I meant in pants. No schoeller fabric is totally windproof. Take your "windproof" schoeller, and try to blow air through it. I guarantee that you will be able to. The only truely windproof softshell fabric I've seen is the Patagonia Dimension, and they don't make pants out of that fabric. cry.gif

No crags here, I can't even wear my Schoeller stuff to class 'cause nobody knows what it is. And chicks don't dig it if you ask them to feel your clothes (especially pants).

I got an Ibex Icefall about three years ago. thumbs_up.gif The stretch and water-resistance are excellent. The material is Ski-fans. It has a wool lining (soft) and is warm by itself down to the 40's. Most breathable jacket I have ever worn. It seems like there is a lot of extra sticthing on it (around cuffs and elbows) cry.gif but have not had a frayed seam yet mushsmile.gif. Compresses down to nothing. I have worn it cycling (couple of falls, only pride hurt), skiing (midweight capilene top and jacket good to about 30 degrees), and chasing Fourteeners in Colorado. I don't take a hard shell in my daypack anymore. I like the sleeve closures, velcro and elastic, don't have to undo velcro every time putting on jacket.

I bought a Cloudveil Serendipity (Schoeller Dryskin) on sale last year. boxing_smiley.gif XL runs a little large compared to the Ibex. The extra long sleeves works for you ice climbers but it just adds dry time for us peak baggers when sleeves get wet. Huge pockets carry a lot but can't warm your hands madgo_ron.gifrolleyes.gif. Feels a little bulkier than the Ibex but not as warm. Water resistance not as good either.

I ordered a pair of the Mammut Courmayeur pants from Climb High, can't wait.

Has anyone tried a DWR spray for any of these jackets? snaf.gif I had to reDWR my Patagonia Direct X after about 6 mos. use.

And yes, I am probably that fat guy you see rubbing all the gear.