Soft Shell Jackets

wdietsch

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The results are in from Jordo's extensive and exhaustive soft shell field tests. I'll be expecting $$ from respective companies here.

1. Schoeller Dryskin in MEC Feratta: bomber tough, I've had the jacket and pants since they first came out. Rougher fabric but doesn't pill that much. A steal for the $.

2. Schoeller Dynamic in BD bdv pants. Prodealed a pair last year and used them every weekend for alpine stuff this year. They suck. Yes, they stretch more than dryskin but they have pilled so much that they look like an old wool sweater and have no H2O resistance as a result. Anybody know how strict BD is with returns, cause these have really disiintegrated.

3. Gucci Dimension. Prodeal when it first came out. Good design and idea though not as resistant as dryskin and Powershield to branches. My everyday ski jacket.

4. Gucci Essenshell. Prodeal. Wimpy fabric but good for non full contact stuff. Get one at an outlet as past years had stretch panels and the new ones don't appear to.

5. Powershield in MEC Pamir. Damn tough fabric. After nasty bush skiing last year, there were no scratches but the sewing is way too raised and is fraying all over the place. I'll take it back when it fully lets go.

I haven't worn goretex in three years. Maybe that's cause I haven't been out in the rain [Roll Eyes]

[ 09-30-2002, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: jordop ]

• 5 months later...

Arcteryx gamma lt has been very good to me

I have worn it in a downpour and it kept me dry, but it did retain some water. Does not insulate too well once it has absorbed water. I generally always have this in my bag opposed to my gore tex in the spring/summer/fall. Have taken it on 1/2 my winter trips this year. Only downfall is no hood.

You should check out what Mammut is doing, the Ultimate Jacket looks like one hell of a cool item!

Im going to try and get a pair of the Courmayeur Pants in the next week or so.

I have the Patagonia Dimension which I got at the Patagonia sale a month ago for $120. I was doing some expedition training on Hood a few weeks ago, and it performed flawlessly. We made camp in a driving mix of snow/light rain, and my upper body stayed perfectly warm and dry, whereas my legs (on which I was wearing gore-tex) got soaked. The jacket is a lot more weather-resistant than my other soft shells (and the other soft shells I've looked at), and being able to retreat into a hood is something I wanted. My one complaint is that the front zipper doesn't work well, but that's a component issue and I will see what Patagonia can do for me about that. I love the material that it uses, it's far more breathable than any laminate could ever hope to be. It's a bit heavy, but it's not a jacket I would use when I'm trying to go fast and light. I love soft shells, I think they're a lot more versatile and comfortable than laminates. I'll still use gore-tex when the weather calls for it, but I'm trying to avoid that unless I have to.

Have you used it? Will the hood fit over a helmet? Is it very water-resistant? Should I get one? The only thing I'm worried about with these type of shells is that I always carry a very light waterproof jacket. I usually made a habit of not taking more clothes than I can wear at once. I imagine a Serendipity or similar jacket layers under a waterproof shell better than the Dimension or Krushell. Right?

freeclimb9 said:

Though it pains me to bow to the price King, the Patagonia KruShell jacket is sweet.

I think Arc'teryx has now officially dethroned Patagonia as the price King, with the launch of the Katabatic. Yes kiddies, that's a $180 windshirt. Yikes!

cj001f said:

freeclimb9 said:

Though it pains me to bow to the price King, the Patagonia KruShell jacket is sweet.

I think Arc'teryx has now officially dethroned Patagonia as the price King, with the launch of the Katabatic. Yes kiddies, that's a $180 windshirt. Yikes!

Yes, which pisses me off even more considering they are a canadian company, so their prices should be less than patagucci et al if anything. Arcteryx makes nice stuff, but their clothing is priced ridiculously high.

JoshK said:

Yes, which pisses me off even more considering they are a canadian company, so their prices should be less than patagucci et al if anything. Arcteryx makes nice stuff, but their clothing is priced ridiculously high.

Thre stuff is way pricey, but their GTX is about the same as others, or a little more. A $180 windshirt is almost twice the price of the Marmot Driclime. Admitesly Arc'teryx's stuff is sewn in Canada (which is more expensive than China, if only slightly smirk.gif) And there website sucks, but everyone's is starting too (like BD's new one)

I got the MEC Pamir Jacket earlier this year and I wear it almost every single day. It's made out of Polertec Powerguard material with Powerstretch under the arms. It's 100% against the wind and has a very light fleece lining to add a bit of insulation. I've worn it ice climbing a couple times and even after it got soaked on a dripping climb it still insulated very well. I think it's a steal for the $155 CAD asking price which translates out to roughly $95 USD.