Soft Shell Jackets

wdietsch

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by sk:

But why dru???? I get a new shell this winter, And I need to pick one for all around everything, from goofing arround in a down pour to my first snowboard and iceclimbing lessons. why soft shell? why hard? come on help a girl out.
[Razz]

Soft shells aren't going to keep you dry, but they are windproof (or at least resistant, see manufacturer's overly optimistic information for details), and you can beat the living fuck out of them without hurting them.

Regular (i.e. "hard") shells are your typical (or not-so-typical) fully-waterproof, stand-under-a-waterfall-and-stay-dry garments, made of less bomber materials (i.e. don't expect to get dragged behind a truck and not wear a few holes in your jacket).

The Doctor has been wanting a soft shell type jacket for days, but they're way too spendy and not all that practical for DFA's needs, i.e. sitting around at Smith for hours freezing balls in late Fall. Thank God for down jackets!

My MEC Shoeller Dryskin Jacket (model is the Ferrata) is wind- and water-resistant. Can't tell you how well it works in winter conditions yet, as I bought it in the summer. So far though I've had it in light rain and moderate wind (sailing) and it's performed like a champ. Water beads right off. Not as cool as the Arc'Teryx softshells, but I think with the exchange rate I paid $82 for mine. Manageable.

SK, you're probably not going to find one jacket that does everything. You've got to look at your clothes as, pardon the media-invented term, 'layering system.'For what it's worth though, most of the layers don't have to cost you the sun and the moon.

quote:

Originally posted by rbw1966:

I really wish I had the ducats for one of them there Wild Things belay jacket.

they are nice, aren't they? [smile] they also make less expensive options that are fairly warm ... for "regular" cragging situations where you're not worried about 60 mph winds at altitude. [Wink] i'm just waiting for them to come out with the right color ... [Roll Eyes]

I have a Patagonia dimension jacket which hasn't let me down yet. I've worn it in downpours, groveling through wet brush, wet snow, office meetings, rock climbing, snow shoeing, skiing trundling in the rain, whatever. Breaths great (I sweat a lot) and very tough. I got mine through the Pata outlet in Dillon MT for $165 or so.

Don't throw away your goretex though.

[Razz] pink BAAAAH!!!! [Mad]

I've been looking at a cupple of patagucci shells

the Essenshell Jacket(soft shell) and the Microburst(storm/hard shell), I'm just not sure it is worth the MAJOR cash flow [Eek!] I'm not sure wich is better.

I don't have any gortex, Is that a bad thing??? [big Grin]

[ 09-16-2002, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: sk ]

I've used MEC's Shoeller Dryskin Ferrata jacket and tights for a couple years. It's more versatile than pile (eg. polarplus, or synchilla) since snow and light rain don't stick. It's kind of wind resistant, too. And it makes a great first, or second layer. But it's not a substitute for a "hard" shell. It's what Twight would call and "Action Suit", I guess. Too bad it doesn't come in any day-glo colors.

quote:

Originally posted by freeclimb9:

I've used MEC's Shoeller Dryskin Ferrata jacket and tights for a couple years. It's more versatile than pile (eg. polarplus, or synchilla) since snow and light rain don't stick. It's kind of wind resistant, too. And it makes a great first, or second layer. But it's not a substitute for a "hard" shell. It's what Twight would call and "Action Suit", I guess. Too bad it doesn't come in any day-glo colors.

cloudveil makes a womens schoeller jacket in pink [Roll Eyes]

quote:

Originally posted by Figger Eight:

Arcteryx Gamma SV jackets are great for skiing at resorts. That's about it. It might have more applications in the Rockies or Sierras, but I wouldn't recommend it for the PNW.

I wear it to ice climb in and it rocks for that except you get slightly wetter than with a goretex jacket when you go under the shower bath on a spraying unformed slush pile.

Thanks for the feedback ..... Not being totally up on all the brands and models, what else is out there, other than the Arc'Teryx Gamma MX Hoody, Cloudveil IceFloe and the Patagonia Dimension and Essenshell, that have a hood?

[ 09-17-2002, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: wdietsch ]

quote:

Originally posted by cj001f:

Essenshell != Major Cash Flow !

Call the Outlet in Dillon - the Jacket & Pullover (which is almost the same, and climbs better) have been on special often (as low as $59 or so)

Carl

That is a GREAT IDEA!!!! thanks [big Grin]