PDX Ice Festival 2007

John Frieh

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:laf: I don't remember too much from that night either Jim :laf::brew:

I think it was Kris who was beating everyone... Brie is that right?

Jim you will always be The People's Champ! :tup:

by chris i think you mean Allison....i do believe she was there till sunrise kickin ass...come to find out she has a small addiction to air hockey.

I'll try my best to be there! Last year was fun.

http://www.accessfund.org/pubs/vt/VT74.pdf

"Access To Hyalite Canyon Ice Climbing In Jeopardy, MT

By Emily Stifler

The new Gallatin National Forest travel plan severely threatens access to the world-class ice climbing in Hyalite

Canyon near Bozeman, Montana. The plan closes and gates Hyalite Canyon road, the only reasonable access road to

the ice climbing, between January 1 and May 15. This decision effectively reduces a 5-month ice climbing season to

five weeks, eliminates 77% of all ice climbing and over 92% of the beginner and intermediate climbs in the Bozeman

area.

How you can help:

1. Take a 5 minute survey

The Southwestern Montana Climbers Coalition’s and First Ascent Press have created an online survey for all ice

climbers. The results of this survey will help in policy arguments for access to ice climbing resources in other areas,

as well. The survey can be accessed at www.hyalitecanyon.com or directly at:

www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?A=167794934E65415

We encourage all who are interested in ice climbing to take a few moments to complete the simple survey even if you

have not visited Hyalite. No sign up or registration is required and your responses protected by secure encryption.

The data will provide extremely useful, if not necessary, information to present our situation to the Forest Service

regarding the adopted Gallatin National Forest Travel Plan.

2. Write a letter to the Editor of the Bozeman Daily Chronicle

The Bozeman Daily Chronicle has already published a number of letters from local and non-local climbers that has

had an amazing effect on local politicians. Ice climbers now have at least one city and one county commissioner

attending meetings. A well constructed, short letter to the Bozeman Daily Chronicle citydesk@dailychronicle.com

urging Supervisor Heath to reconsider her decision to gate Hyalite Road and open 3 miles of road for winter access

that will save over 140 ice climbs, from the climbers across the country will be useful in applying local political

pressure.

3. Stay informed

For more information, recent discussions and updates go to www.montanaice.com/forums.

Background information:

This final plan, entitled 7M, is the culmination of more than four years of discussion, public comment periods, private

meetings, letters to the editor, and ongoing debates and arguments among user groups. 7M designates the road

beyond the gate for “family oriented cross-country skiing,” and leaves ice climbers with two choices for access after

December 31: a lengthy backcountry ski, or a circuitous, ungroomed, remote snowmobile route that experienced,

local sled-heads call “advanced and difficult riding.”

The Southwest Montana Climbers Coalition (SMCC), the Access Fund, First Ascent Press and many other concerned

individuals and businesses are currently working hard to explore the options to protect this climbing access.

These groups may need to launch an administrative appeal to the Forest Service, and need more statistics on ice

climbing use in Hyalite Canyon. The more climbers take the survey, the more accurate and effective the data will be."

I don't know if the survey is still viable, but this issue as a whole should be.

Near_Twin_Falls.jpg

Overview.jpg

Twin_Falls.jpg

Rodney_Stewart-Hyalite.jpg

Rodney-Hyalite.jpg

:rawk: the ice fest, and support Hyalite!

What up y'all?

So this thing sounds pretty amazing, but here's the deal. I live in Ellensburg, and I have a cross country race the next morning at like 9 or 10 am in Salem (at Willamette U). Is this worth to loss sleep before the meet?

I hope I can make it.

Edited by kevino

HEY ICE COMP COMPETITORS: DUE TO TIME CONSTRAINTS THERE WILL BE LIMITED SPACES FOR THE COMP THIS YEAR SO SHOW UP AT 5 O'CLOCK TO SIGN UP IF YOU WISH TO PARTICIPATE. ALL COMPETITORS WILL RUN AN INTERMEDIATE LEVEL QUALIFIER ROUTE AND THOSE WHO MOVE ON TO THE SECOND ROUND WILL GET A CHANCE TO CLIMB THE FINALS ROUTE LATER IN THE EVENING AFTER THE SLIDESHOW.

This is still a very homegrown, lo-fi, friendly competition for fun and charity. All prizes have been graciously donated by local shops and companies. We'll ask for a small donation of $3 to the Hyalite Fund to participate in the comp. So come on down and have some fun, show your stuff, and get some stoke on for the big freeze...se ya there!