PDX Ice Festival 2007

John Frieh

pdxice_poster2007_web_big.jpg

Portland Rock Gym September 29th 2007 5 - 11 pm

Demo ice tools and check out other new ice gear from Black Diamond, Grivel and Petzl.

Ice climbing comp with prizes for top finishers.

Slideshow by local NW hardman

Raffling off thousands of dollars of gear with all the proceeds being donated to Keep Hyalite Canyon Open

Lots and lots of beer :brew:

Last year's madness

Stayed tuned for more details!

Do yer pullups! :wazup:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Side note: Special thanks to John and Marcus for putting in the time and organizing this last year.

Very special thanks to Gary for allowing all of us assholes a chance to both tear his walls up with ice tools, and puke on his floor from excessive beer consumption:-) :lmao: Last year I stuck exclusively to the beer consumption comp and did poorly.

SINCE HE DOESN'T MAKE ANY MONEY OFF THIS AND CLOSES THE GYM FOR THE EVENT!

Lat year Gary used the opportunity to get new holds and by way of a double opportunity to send the holds which got slightly beat to the soldiers in Iraq who had sent him a letter wanting him to donate to them for a climbing wall. They were pretty frikkan surprised and happy, so have at it boyz, yer doin some good here on a couple of levels!

A good time was had by all! Put it on your calender.

Local hardman, huh??? Could this be the infamous "Marcus" :)

Actually more likely Mark Westman, Joe Josephson and/or Roger Strong (not to suggest Marcus isn't a hardman... if/when you meet him ask him about 11300)... we are still massaging the details... once I have more info I will make sure to post them here.

Can PDX ex-patriots come?

Absolutely... every and any one is welcome especially since we are raising money for Hyalite.

Should be another great shindig this year! We'll have all the new sharps and toys available for show & tell, more fun comp route action, a big 'ol screen to show fancy pictures...and, of course free beer.

I expect all you smalltown heroes and local hardfolk to set aside a day come down(up) to PDX and climb, canoodle and raise some cash for charity with us.

See ya there!

Local hardman, huh??? Could this be the infamous "Marcus" :)

Actually more likely Mark Westman, Joe Josephson and/or Roger Strong (not to suggest Marcus isn't a hardman... if/when you meet him ask him about 11300)... we are still massaging the details... once I have more info I will make sure to post them here.

PDX Ice Festival Update:

This one is specifically for everyone that wishes they could catch all the great slideshow Feathered Friends puts on but can't get off early enough to get to Seattle to catch it...

Mark Westman will be putting together a slideshow for the fest... Mark will be focusing on the routes he completed this season in the AK range (Moonflower and Denali Diamond) and how they're a culmination of his own climbing from the Cascades to Alaska, and his own evolution this year into climbing leashless in the mountains.

So... free beer... a sick sick slideshow... ice toys to demo... ice comp... and raise money for Hyalite... will I see you there?

I'm sure Feathered Friends will be announcing the slideshow when they nail down the details.

Sounds like this icefest will be fun once again, and the cause this year is a good one. Maybe some people will organize a short bus so that some people from Seattle can save some gas and get down there.

Got Grip?

Deadlift (1 1/4 x BW): 15 - 12 - 9 - 6 - 3

Pull-ups: 30 - 24 - 18 - 12 - 6

Rope Climb: (20' climb) 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1

For time.

Post time to comments.

Dang dude, that sounds fun! One of my favorite crossfit-esque workouts is:

5 pullups

10 pushups

15 squats

Max sets in 20 minutes

Question about the competition: I dont have alot of drytooling experience.... should I still try out, or is it "experts only"?

Looking forward to it!

Ahhh... Cindy. Good times :)

My current personal favorite (though I had a great time doing the filthy 50 this morning) is:

500 thrusters for time. 45 lb olympic bar. :skull:

Question about the competition: I dont have alot of drytooling experience.... should I still try out, or is it "experts only"?

Hell yes you should! We are having a prelim before the final so if you make it to the finals awesome and if you don't well you get to start drinking beer earlier :brew:

Don't sweat the experience part... the difference between the PDX fest and other larger festivals is we don't attract a bunch of pro climbers... it's basically all the home town kids giving it a go.

I would mention you have a few weeks before the fest... it wouldn't hurt to dig out your tools and do a few pull ups... or even better con AlpineDave and a few others up there to hit one of you drytool crags once or twice beforehand.

See you at the fest :wave: