to newbies reading partners forum

G-spotter

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I yam a new climber and want to get experience. One person I trust told me never climb with anyone I meet from cc.com because I won’t be able to tell if they are any good until too late when they let me deck, take all my nice gear, and leave me as a snack for the snafflehounds. Another person I trust tells me climbers I meet on cc.com are the salt of the earth, ropeguns every one of ‘em, strong, honest, fearless, and brave souls who flash 5.12 and never fall. How can I tell the diff? I mean really: how is a beginner supposed to judge a possible partner found on this site?

Actually, just like internet dating, meeting people in person is a great way to get a better feel for how deep the BS is.

There are frequent PubClubs and this Oct 12-14 there is the annual RopeUp in Icicle canyon at the Eightmile group site. Don't bring beer.

I yam a new climber and want to get experience. One person I trust told me never climb with anyone I meet from cc.com because I won’t be able to tell if they are any good until too late when they let me deck, take all my nice gear, and leave me as a snack for the snafflehounds. Another person I trust tells me climbers I meet on cc.com are the salt of the earth, ropeguns every one of ‘em, strong, honest, fearless, and brave souls who flash 5.12 and never fall. How can I tell the diff? I mean really: how is a beginner supposed to judge a possible partner found on this site?

Climbers who are nice, and good people, rarely have trouble finding partners.

Climbers who are sketchy, annoying, and/or dangerous are always looking for new partners.

How can you tell the diff? It's like having "gay-dar". You look and you just know.

I'm a newbie (just started climbing outdoors in July) and with the exception of the guided climbs I've done at Smith, I've only climbed with cc.comers. Everyone has been great, nice, patient, helpful and I hope to climb lots more with each of them.

As for how to judge a possible partner found on this site... when I was going to climb with someone up Seattle way, I PM'd a cc.comer (a couple, actually) and asked if this guy was safe/okay to climb with. Also, depending on where you live, go to a pub club. Seattle has a bunch of them. That's how I got to meet some of the PDX climbers.

Just like internet dating, I'm sure.

I was afraid someone would say that. It has been 7 weeks since I sent my fiancee Sexy4U69 the $3000 she needs to fly from her mud hut in North Korea here to Jet City. I'm going to die climbing, aren't I?

What routes did you have in mind?

I'll PM you my address so you can send a check.

I was afraid someone would say that. It has been 7 weeks since I sent my fiancee Sexy4U69 the $3000 she needs to fly from her mud hut in North Korea here to Jet City. I'm going to die climbing, aren't I?

Not helping!

Edited by builder206

Not helping!

Love you no shit. Take me stateside.

Don't bring beer.

Unless this is followed with "because I'm bringing enough for the both of us" a sure sign someone is a bad partner

Yeah. Could be dangerous. In past years there has always been a keg that magically appeared. Did Pyramid donate it last year? This year it is not yet a given so I spoke out of turn.

Bring beer just in case.

This maybe to little to late...

But... if your looking for climbing partners, try going to your local climbing gym first. The people that are nice to you, offer you a belay when they notice you are by yourself, and give you constructive beta without being condenscending are probably going to be good climbing partners. The folks that snub there nose at you, flash routes after you fall off a couple of times just to show you how it's done, but never actually tell you how it is done, are probably bad choices for partners.

My reccomendation if your going to pick a climber based on just looking at this site. Read, read, read, and read some more, you can tell a lot about a person's presonality from how they respond to others. Some folks are nice, others... not so much. Read through the rock climbing forums and trip reports and you'll get an idea of who you can trust and those that you are thankful that you don't have to use your real name when posting.

Best of luck from PDX

you should hear what they say from behind the counter!

I'm often curious as to what they say from behind the counter. When referring to me they probably say "look at that bald fat dude check'n out the honey's, for a guy in his thirties, who thinks he's in twenties, sure looks like he's in his forties." Actually, I'm quit the handsome devil, and all the woman love me. :cool: Especially the girl behind the counter. ;)

Crap! I was hoping for a really good photo of Woody Harrelson from "King Pin", That would have been perfect here.

Edited by Jeepenfool95