What have you done with duct tape lately?

Jonathan

I am here to sing the praises of duct tape. I am also profoundly bored at the moment and hope to generate some spray. I’m not even really a climber, just a hopeless gumby wannabe.

With duct tape I have:

Field repaired marmot-chewed tents, glissade-compromised pants and crampon-ravaged gaiters. Oh, yes, also employed it to prevent snow balling up on said crampons. Just wrap around the front of the crampon to form a plate of sorts. Have used it on myself: After puncturing my calf on a branch stub on a icy log crossing, I used it to apply a bandage to control the profuse bleeding. Essential item in blister prevention and repair.

Part of my bumper is currently affixed to my car with duct tape. The coax cable that carries this message from my computer to you, gentle reader, is duct taped up a door frame, onto a wall, and then down the wall on the other side of the room down to access the cable jack. Truely a vision of gracious living.

What have you done with duct tape lately?

Jonathan Pryce

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's some cat in Portland who makes duct tape wallets. The Doctor has seen them for sale here and there. Seems kind of sketchy, though, having that shit be all peeling apart and sticking to your pants and your money, gumming up your credit cards. They look pretty cool, though.

Other than that, the Doctor doesn't know anything about any duct tape. It's all Seam Grip these days.

quote:

Here's a question. I used duct tape to cover up tears in my jacket. I finally have a second jacket and want to send off the old one for repair to patagonia, but after removing the duct tape, there's a bunch of sticky stuff left behind. How do I get rid of this stuff?

iain, you might want to try a little rubbing alcohol. probably along the lines of DFA's suggestion but i'd test on like the inside area of the jacket where you can see if it's going to stain the fabric... it works for getting stickers and other gluey/sticky stuff off of mirrors and windows

i'll share this as it might amuse some of you guys: did you know that some girls duct tape their boobs together for better cleavage?!! [laf] i knew of some girls a long time ago in high school that did it for prom dresses and shit... [laf]

[ 09-05-2002, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: AA ]

I'm not to sure about duct tape either, climbing tape now that's another question. I use that for everything from after climbing bandages and wrist/ankle wraps to taping up a tear in the leather on my truck seat. its pretty sweet to see a big ass chuck of white against the leather, it too can leave a little res-e-due when you take it off. [Razz]

quote:

AA

i'll share this as it might amuse some of you guys: did you know that some girls duct tape their boobs together for better cleavage?!! i knew of some girls a long time ago in high school that did it for prom dresses and shit...

ok i'll admit i had to do that once for a wedding i was in, holy cow was that binding or what! and when you go to take it off...... [Confused] yeah. it does prove to be a good source of support, but needless to say i won't be doing that again soon. [hell no]

quote:

Originally posted by krazy 1:

ok i'll admit i had to do that once for a wedding i was in, holy cow was that binding or what! and when you go to take it off......
[Confused]
yeah. it does prove to be a good source of support, but needless to say i won't be doing that again soon.
[hell no]

The problem may be technique. Could we get photos showing your handiwork?

[ 09-05-2002, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: Attitude ]

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

Here's a question. I used duct tape to cover up tears in my jacket. I finally have a second jacket and want to send off the old one for repair to patagonia, but after removing the duct tape, there's a bunch of sticky stuff left behind. How do I get rid of this stuff?

Iain--

My wife has this citrus stuff that has removed gum and pine pitch from my gore-tex stuff. Can't remember what its called but she picked it up at freddys.

I did an article last year about repairing gear in the field. They gave me all of these fancy repair kits to mess around with, and I tried other stuff too, various adhesives, string, junk like that. I wrote the article, and talked about Fastex buckles and whatnot, but the truth is, that for field repair duct tape really can't be beat.

In addition, my repair kit has a couple of Zip Ties, sandpaper, HotBond, a diaper pin, some Seine Twine, Glide Dental Floss (made by WL Gore BTW), needle, alcohol wipes, piece of really thin wire, tent pole repair sleeve, aluminum foil tape. About 4oz not counting the duct tape, which gets wrapped around a Gatorade bottle.

On a recent trip I had the lightest pack, and this repair kit got used by everyone in my party, so I guess it's got the right stuff in it. [rockband]