shady yosemite moderates and cell coverage

markwebster

anyone know of some shady, short approach moderates in yosemite? Also, is there cell coverage for cingular/att? I know verizon works already.

It's supposed to be 100 there now. I'd like to do some sixes through nines, 10a. Manure pile buttress was a cooker last year so nutcracker could be too hot.

I'm thinking about the apron since it can be shady, and has some nice moderate trad lines (the grack, harry daley), but that rockfall in 99 has me spooked. Do people still climb there?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blowhole & Mecca areas, most of the day.

Chapel Wall, Public Sanitation areas, early

Cookie, Church Bowl, New Diversions areas, late.

Five Open Books, late.

Keystone Corner and Travesty @ 5-dime, late

Yes, people still cimb on the apron, particularly in the middle where H-D, Grack etc are. I did Mr. Natural and Cold Fusion earlier this year and didn't see another soul at the apron, but then again that young kid got the chop at the base of the approach pitch to Mr. Natural. Goodrich Pinnacle right side has been seeing alot of action after inclusion in the Supertaco free guide.

Just go to the Meadows, too hot in the ditch.

You can usually get good cell phone coverage in the parking lot for Curry Camp and I haven't had much trouble getting coverage in Camp 4 before. Haven't been to the ditch in a few years, but I'm pretty sure not much has changed. Great granite and beauty, lots of tourists this time of year and high priced everything.

You might find that the temp drops if you get a bit off the floor of the valley, which means some of the stuff with longer approaches might be worthwhile. Have fun.

thanks for the tips. I've been to Tuolumne (1980) and while it was cooler, the runnouts were not pretty. Regarding the cell phones, I have a 60 percent hearing loss on my left side, and hearing my partner on a long windy pitch can be challenging. I could carry radios, but our cell phones are smaller than my radios. I don't like carrying either, and usually don't, but I'll have my digital slr camera bag with me anyway...

I totally agree in general about too much cell use. It's amazing how many young people can't even imagine life without a cell phone, it'd be like not having air to breath. I talk about 40 minutes a month...

once I get down there I'll probably say to hell with the phones. I love the dirtbag life, just me and the rock

• 2 weeks later...

Go for The Grack on Glacier Point apron after about 2:00 pm.

It's in the shade and you'll feel like the only soul in the valley. No sign of any person-made objects, and minimal car-bus noise. It's one of the absolute best Yos. easy climbs, 4 pitch easy 5.6 crack, with a big beautiful ledge on top. Try a lower off, fix the rope, and go for a lateral jog on the expanse of granite.