akula half bag

jackthenewb

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a Feathered Friends Vireo which is the same idea. My Vireo is 68" long (I'm 5' 10") and comes up to the top of my rib cage. This length for me is great when lying down and provides just enough coverage when sitting up. I personaly would not go any shorter myself. They tapper the down towards the top so it does not interfere with your jacket. I use the FF Volant jacket with it.This combo has been fine for me in temps just below freezing.

The Akula half bag is designed to use with the heavy, full length Torre parka. I don't believe the WM Meltdown would be long enough even with the long version of the Akula.

IMHO, looking at the specs, the combo of the Akula and the Meltdown (17ozs total down) would be colder then my combo (21ozs total down). If you already own the meltdown, I'd go for a longer "half bag".

I do like using a half bag. Saves some weight and makes doing chores while tucked in a piece of cake. Its very versital. In warmer weather I just open up my jacket and lay it on top of me. In most cases (frezzing temps) I wear a balaclava, gloves, the jacket & hood while sleeping. I sometimes use an extra piece of clothing to cover my face. The only negative for me is just that you never get that really cozy feeling of being completly snuggled up like you do in a mummy bag.

BTW, the temp rating (20F or -7C) of the Akula is when used in combination with the Torre parka. The bag alone is more like 45F.