GoLite Products

Goat_Boy

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, you got me there. How bout'this...the material is sooo thin that draggin it up the mountain with a haul line, or scraping it in a chimney or some like scenerio will fuck up the material and it will fail. You can argue it's lightweight virtues all day, but the fact of the matter is that it's too damn fragile to survive very long in the Cascades or BC environment. You don't enter a Porsche in a Monster Truck Rally.

All lightweight gear needs pampering. That's yet another reason why it's called "lightweight", or --even worse-- "ultra-lightweight".

The spectra grid-stop is impressively strong for its weight, but it's not PVC-coated ballistics like a haulbag. Once it's punctured, or cut, it will survive pretty well back to the trailhead, but then it's got to be repaired.

I don't like the Go-Lite designs. The Go-Lite packs don't have the features I want to carry the stuff I want to bring. They're knock-offs from home-sewn packs, so if you want a light pack, sew your own for about $30 in materials.

No regular piece of gear is going to survive being hauled. You hope for it, but you shouldn't expect it. It's like it my work, there's stuff that is durable and reliable on a flat horizontal surface, and there's stuff that's made to be lifted, toted, and dragged, new set of rules, and that stuff is way heavier and durable.

GoLite gear is only comfortable if one is Jardinian, and certainly not expected to be durable for rock.It's a long way since Friends, my friends.

It barely works for carrying stuff, barely heavy. there is a tradeoff, and in this case, no abrasive surfaces are part of the equation.

• 2 weeks later...

GB:

I have a golite breeze which has held up well to abuse. I picked it up for 30 bones in a REI clearance bin. Carries pretty well, load your stuff smartly (soft stuff closest to your back) any you'll be a happy camper.

One thing is you really get a sweaty back with the fabric right up against your back, but, I don't know if the packs you are looking at are like that. The packs seem lite and bomber, the clothing seems too flimsy for climbing.

Free charge on advise today. [smile]