[TR] Vayooooo - 8/23/2007

jordop

Trip: Vayooooo -

Date: 8/23/2007

Trip Report:

I hate writing TRs, so here's some photos and notes. NW ridge is cool, but pretty easy. Killer campsite, but shame about the 5hr drive and 3 hr bushwack.

Jamie Creek Valley: skiing anyone?

jamie.jpg

Killer camp:

camp.jpg

Peak from below:

sky.jpg

GS and NG on ridge ahead of us:

gsng.jpg

PB topping out:

pb1.jpg

OMG the exposure!!!!!

pb2.jpg

Views to previous adventures in the Tchaikazan:

Tchaikazan.jpg

Regarding the approach. There have been previous suggestions from some to sidehill high above the valley, but there is a tonne of blowdown. Valley floor is bushy/swampy in spots, but overall it's a better choice to stay low all the way to the outlet stream and then head up. Or if you want a really good way to hike out, you could do this:

river.jpg

We took a 8mil and a small rack, but never used anything. Didn't see much 5th, but lots of cool 4th. The rap off the gendarme is all of 8m and can be bypassed on the right. There's some steepish snow to get up to access the ridge and I've heard that in years past this can be hard ice. Take some hobnails. Nice place.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the TR!

How were the bugs this year?

Went a couple of years ago and the blighters got my whole face so that it swelled up to size of a football. Had to crawl on my hands and knees to get out and spent next 2 weeks wearing shades so as not to frighten people at work.