[TR] Vantage, Frenchman Coulee - Various at Sunshine Far End 8/26/2007

Trip: Vantage, Frenchman Coulee - Various at Sunshine Far End

Date: 8/26/2007

Trip Report:

Neverenough (John), OkeyPlus (Vladimir) and I drove out to Vantage in my trusty rusty to escape a bleak and rainy Seattle. It drizzled as we passed North Bend.

We considered diverting to Leavenworth when it started looking sunny in Cle Elum, but decided to stick to our plan and get some guaranteed sun. We passed a potato truck wreck on the way. It had gone off the road into a field and caught fire. Most of the left wall of the trailer was burnt away. I wanted to stop because I thought some of those potatoes were likely baked just right, but we kept on going at the insistence of my partners.

At Vantage it was sunny and warm with a wind blowing from the west. The parking lot had perhaps ten cars in it. All the trash had been picked up from the porta potty area, a great improvement from last time.

We took the trail to Gully #3 and headed for Riverview Columns which my buddies had not visited before. We did the four leftmost sport routes (5.8-5.10b. all by Leland) and enjoyed them. With the SE exposure it was pretty warm, but still pleasant.

In the afternoon we moved down to Tomato Wall and did some trad climbing. John led Whale of the Wanapum, 5.9. I led Burning Spears, 5.10c, Vladimir lead Tomato Paste, 5.10a and he and I collaborated on Go Cat Go, 5.10b. I started the pitch and ran out of gas above the roof and lowered off, Vladimir finished it off. So the redpoint continues to elude me on Go Cat Go.

So we each got in 8 pitches and at least 4 leads a piece. That's a pretty good day for a party of three. It was enough to tire me out, so I was happy.

On the way out we saw a large group of rescue and fire trucks at the edge of the big dropoff to Frenchman Coulee. They had rescue pulleys, etc set up. We were pretty sure it was a practice because the folks looked pretty light hearted and casual.

A stop at the El Caporal in Cle Elum finished off a very nice day of climbing.

Gear Notes:

Draw and Rack to 4". Lots of small nuts for Burning Spears.

Approach Notes:

From the bottom of Gully #3 (marked on mesa top with sign), go right to reach Riverview Columns or left to reach Tomato Wall.

Edited by catbirdseat

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic