Labor Day hike suggestions

SteveStrong

Hi there guys,

I'm a recent transplant from the Oregon Cascades to here in Everett.

Myself and my girlfriend are looking for something for the upcoming long weekend, and while I'm scouring the guidebooks, I thought I would see what the board had to say about some hikes.

I'm looking for something that does not require technical climbing equipment. ~20miles a day max. My girlfriend has zero climbing experience but is in shape and does not mind a good scramble. If there was the opportunity to make an easy summit in the afternoon solo, that would be great (something with a good campsite).

Thanks so much in advance. I miss the Southern Alps in New Zealand, and I'm hoping the Northern Cascades give me a little taste of them.

Cheers

-Steve

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The enchanments would be a great day trip and is less than 20 miles. I think it's ~ 18 miles through.

If you were moving fast, you could hike Little Annapurna, and scramble McClellan. If you were moving really fast, you could scramble Enchantment as well.

It's a rough loop that puts you about 10 miles away from your car. Leave a bike at the Bridge creek entrance. Start hiking at Snow Creek. Ride the bike mostly downhill to get the car and your partner.

I know, it's not the North Cascades....

Edited by fenderfour

Enchantments. Eightmile trailhead to Lake Caroline. Camp there, then summit Mount Cashmere via Windy Pass next day. Back to camp, then out to car. I think it's something like 17 miles round trip. Something I'm thinking of doing also. Let me know if you're going.

Edited by mtn.climber

Granted it wasn't over the busy weekend, but I had no problem getting a permit to camp at Caroline this past weekend and we got the ranger station at about noon on Saturday. Unfortunately weather came in Saturday night so we didn't end up getting to go up Cashmere.

Permit required if you camp at Lake Caroline. Or you can go above it out of the permit zone. Talked to the Leavenworth rangers....they said chances would be good to get required permits for Lake Caroline this weekend. Just get to the ranger station on Friday or early Saturday.

I miss the Southern Alps in New Zealand, and I'm hoping the Northern Cascades give me a little taste of them.

If you want to see jagged peaks and glaciers go to the North Cascades (e.g. Cascade Pass area/Sahale Arm/Boston Basin/Hidden Lakes). It will make you feel as though you are mountaineering even though you will be on a trail the whole time. Plus, there are scrambling possibilities if you get the itch. Permits are required for overnight camping but they are free.

Head north on the PCT from Rainy Pass. VERY spectactular scenery up there, plus potential scrambling options along the way. Drive out Fri after work, camp at the trail head. Sat hike in, perhaps dropping down to Cutthroat Lake, or continuing north from Cutthroat pass another few miles to a fair camp with water in a bowl on the side of a very nice bowl - this is only about 8 or 10 miles north of Rainy pass - leaving plenty of time to scramble up the ridges from Cutthroat pass on the way there. Sunday - easy hike out.

They won't be from this board, but you'd likely encounter thru hikers this time of year on that section of the trail.