Define the word "attempt"

kweb

How do you define "attempt"  

129 members have voted

1. 1. How do you define "attempt"

Just curious as to how others define the word attempt. I’ve had my share of times when the planned summit was not reached, but can I really say it was even attempted?

If you didn’t make the summit, at what point do you say it was attempted? Please chose one.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Roger Smith and I once "attempted" the Picket Traverse like 30 years ago.

The plan was to hitchhike up there and do it. However, as no one would pick us up, our "attempt" to go do this failed after standing on the side of the freeway for @ a day while we were still in Oregon.

My brother and I once "attempted" to climb Snake Dike in early September. We planned, packed, flew to Sac, drove to Yos and got a spot in Camp 4. In the morning we were able to view the start from the Valley floor. And, based on our struggle to carry our gear from the car to the camping spot-it was near the back, we decided we had little chance of even making it to the base of the route.

We did, however, conquer Aunt Fanny's Pantry and meet its namesake.

My brother and I once "attempted" to climb Snake Dike in early September. We planned, packed, flew to Sac, drove to Yos and got a spot in Camp 4. In the morning we were able to view the start from the Valley floor. And, based on our struggle to carry our gear from the car to the camping spot-it was near the back, we decided we had little chance of even making it to the base of the route.

We did, however, conquer Aunt Fanny's Pantry and meet its namesake.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Here's my technique and it worked last time up the Dike. Take both the lightest running shoes you own and Ujahn.

Like a young Labrador with a ball he's sprinting up the trail and looking back at ya: as if to say "come on come on come on".

This is about 30 paces from your campsite before you've even hit a hill.

You casually drop this line: "Man, (said while yawning) must have slept hard last night, this stuff feels particularly heavy."

He'll offer to carry everything you have, and you gratefully accept.

Remember this part cause it's important: your rope, shoes, gear, harness, etc etc but MOST importantly your WATER is now no longer on your back so you have to keep up. With this now significantly slower pace (as you loaded down the pace setter with all the weight), you do keep up, breathlessly promising yourself all the way to seriously start working out if you can only make it back without any major ligaments in the legs tweaking severely.

Then just as you get up there at the base you find out that your pace was fast enough to have just caught up with some young studs who woke up early and left camp 2 hours before you. :lmao:

MW:

Main Entry: at·tempt

Pronunciation: a-'tem(p)t

Function: transitive verb

Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French & Latin; Anglo-French attempter, from Latin attemptare, from ad- + temptare to touch, try -- more at TEMPT

1 : to make an effort to do, accomplish, solve, or effect

2 archaic : TEMPT

3 archaic : to try to subdue or take by force : ATTACK

- at·tempt·able /-'tem(p)-t&-b&l/ adjective

synonyms ATTEMPT, TRY, ENDEAVOR, ESSAY, STRIVE mean to make an effort to accomplish an end. ATTEMPT stresses the initiation or beginning of an effort . TRY is often close to ATTEMPT but may stress effort or experiment made in the hope of testing or proving something . ENDEAVOR heightens the implications of exertion and difficulty . ESSAY implies difficulty but also suggests tentative trying or experimenting . STRIVE implies great exertion against great difficulty and specifically suggests persistent effort .

It's an attempt if you pack for it, bitches! :fahq:

kinda like when you bring a comdom with you to a bar, but ya never got to use it.

No, that is like carrying around a rope and your entire rack in a backpack with no place to go and no objective, but you don't climb anything.

If you hit on a hottie at the bar and she walks, that is an attempt. :lmao:

So next time, start showing her your climbing gear ala Jim Robinson, he'd head into a bar with a carabiner and some gear hanging off his pack just to start up a conversation of how he climbed - now that was an attempt:-0

Like Eric says: "1) : to make an effort to do"

I would say an attempt is once you leave your house with the intention of climbing something you have begun your attempt.

I agree. This is why I think those most of those who say they've done NR of Stuart in a day didn't, they are not counting the drive or the bivy in the parking lot.