Your favorite carry-over pack

IceScrewed

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gregory Alpinisto (no longer made). 3200, double holstered, two racking loops, extra long sleeve and an integrated bivy pad behind the framesheet. After you dock all the tails on this thing it's pretty slick. Lightweight, too. The only Gregory I'd ever admit to.

Serratus Aladdin 2.

Bomber strong, climbs exceptionally well (good head tilt and brilliant balance), is actually comfortable, reasonable weight (1.8 kg with full frame) and most importantly, has a super low profile padded and stiffened hipbelt that stays out of the way. Owning both an Aladdin and a Nozone, the former is simply in another league.

Oh, and reasonably cheap.

GB

hey Trask thanks for the crampon placement advice i was actually just thinking about that, doing my pre-climb pack fit at this very moment... [big Grin]

have to ask though... since you are such the climber, do you use the pack for all your video equipment or what? [Wink]

[ 08-26-2002, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: krazy 1 ]

quote:

Originally posted by David Parker:

quote:

Originally posted by mattp:

A special place to put crampons on a pack is probably the least important feature that one could look for in a pack. .

I like to roll my crampons up in my Thermarest. It helps protect the points from getting dull when you throw the pack down on rocks.

hehehehehehe

dave, you read for a climb dis summer??/

quote:

Originally posted by krazy 1:

yeah but, if you put holes in your thermarest you're screwed for a sleepin pad. or is that something else... i have a z-rest so that wouln't work... next!
[big Drink]

hey krazy, for awhile i thought you were secretely a man, but after reading your response above, i see that you could only be a woman. duhhhhhhh

quote:

Originally posted by David Parker:

quote:

A special place to put crampons on a pack is probably the least important feature that one could look for in a pack. .

I like to roll my crampons up in my Thermarest. It helps protect the points from getting dull when you throw the pack down on rocks.

i prefer to use my newest ultralight gore tex jacket it keeps the crampons from getting wet...prevents rust

quote:

Originally posted by krazy 1:

yeah but, if you put holes in your thermarest you're screwed for a sleepin pad. or is that something else... i have a z-rest so that wouln't work... next!
[big Drink]

I used to roll my crampons in an old t-shirt with a couple of heavy-duty rubber bands, but I finally broke down and got an OR crampon bag. I've been pretty happy with it.

I know I sound like a broken record, here, but don't you guys know how to turn your crampons around so the points face each other? I do not recall a single instance when my crampons tore my pack or anything else, nor have I ever lost them, when I just lashed them on the outside of my pack. Am I just incredibly lucky? Note: When people lash their ice axe on their pack, using the little loop on the bottom and having the shaft point upward, I HAVE seen the spike poke things and people. But everyone considers the ice axe loop essential.

quote:

[QB]having the shaft point upward, I HAVE seen the spike poke people. [QB]

Matt, glad to see you're politically correct. It would be SEXIST to think girls are the only ones who get poked! Now, where did you say you saw this?????

[ 08-27-2002, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: David Parker ]

Here is a cheap idea for a crampon bag

Make yourself some cutoffs from old ripped up jeans

Take one of the cutoff legs

Close one end of the tube with a big rubber band like off a broccoli

Put crampons in other end and fold over extra denim...

mattp - even if you put your poons facing each other, the frontpoints on the end can cut stuff if you dont put them in a bag.

When packing my crampons in a duffel bag for travelling, I protect the points with a crampon bag or maybe just Duct tape. But on the outside of my pack I suppose it is possible that they could cut something, but it takes a minimum amount of care to be sure that they aren't pointing at my thermarest and I have never had it happen to me. And for those that worry about grams, just think how much that wet denim weighs.