Your favorite carry-over pack

IceScrewed

There's a bunch of new packs that I've never tried and was wondering what the current concensus was on the best pack for doing a weekend climb with a carry-over. I've always used about a 3000cu.in. bag...thoughts on makes/models/size (yeah, I know...the models and size is really asking for it). [big Grin]

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose you can hommake just about anything. Some people dont care to take the time to alter equipment. My time is more valuable to me than that. I would rather be getting laid drinking beer or climbing than sewing shit on to a pack or whatever. I like to buy the right piece of equipment for the job the first time.. Although it does not always end up that way. If I buy a pack I dont want to sew shit on. That's what the packmakers are supposed to do in my eyes. But if you are short on cash and long on time or are a tightwad I got no beef....

I think if you spend all your time modifying then you might not have the right stuff in the first place.

[ 08-23-2002, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: Cpt.Caveman ]

I don't ever use a backpack, too heavy!

Just clip everything to your harness. Keeps the bears away too! Keep little items in your pockets. Drink all your water and eat all your food at the car, keeping some in your cheeks and under your tongue, possible clipping a nalgene to your harness. Wear your sleeping bag as a belay jacket. The chest-style big wall rack can help distribute the weight.

Check out the new Black Diamond "Still Suits," coming fall 2002!!! I've got a demo, and choose to wear mine, "desert fashion." Take lots of Vicodan, or Codine to fold space once on the summit.

If I did wear a pack, I would agree w/Doug Hutchinson (not that I own that pack and love it). You need duct tape to make your hammer holster small diameter, and the compression straps are confusing w/the shovel flap (keep the flap for your crampons). Fucking awesome perfect pack. Not boxy, like the ice sack. Carries well, no frame either, but the back is padded and a has a foam bivy pad, and water bladder pouch. Non-bulky waist belt. I think Twight designed it, not sure. Kicks ass....I hear. One of the cheapest packs around. The single best feature of the pack is that it Climbs Well! The ice sack, and others don't hug your body as well.

[ 08-23-2002, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: michael_layton ]

my 2 cents....

so i got the "Arcteryx Khamisn 38" special with the pretty dark blue panels on the side and the black and checkered material, whatever! ... i like it. no foam on waist, way light, comfy comfy fit. i use it for everything now. plenty of room for skis, axes, gear... but still a smaller pack. not sure about crampons, no place for those... i'm sure i'll be figuring it out soon though, i plan on using it on adams next weekend.

[big Grin]

and no there are no bows on it.

quote:

Originally posted by krazy 1:

my 2 cents....

so i got the "Arcteryx Khamisn 38" special with the pretty dark blue panels on the side and the black and checkered material,
whatever!
... i like it. no foam on waist, way light, comfy comfy fit. i use it for everything now. plenty of room for skis, axes, gear... but still a smaller pack. not sure about crampons, no place for those... i'm sure i'll be figuring it out soon though, i plan on using it on adams next weekend.

[big Grin]

and no there are no bows on it.

hey, I have the same pack. Nestle crampons together and lash on the front with the lash cord supplied. Obviously dont have the spikes facing inward. I agree with you, a trick pack.

Right on, Trask. A special place to put crampons on a pack is probably the least important feature that one could look for in a pack. Crampons come with their own straps and there is barely a pack around that doesn't have some strap or buckle that allows items like Crampons to be strapped on. "Features" are far less important than the basic size and shape of the pack -- for technical climbing I like a pack that is cut narrow toward the top and does not extend above my shoulders, so I have maximum freedom of arm movement and I can tip my head back to look up. Also, a flexible belt and shoulder straps without a bunch of plastic stiffeners will be less in the way when hauling the pack or taking it off on some small ledge.