Sport v Trad

Adam13

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally new to rock climbing and i have a few questions. #1 what exactly is the differance between sport and trad climbing, and also anyone know any good beginner type rock climbs around the spokane/inland NW.

Sport climbing = cut your balls off and enjoy Ronald McDonald Playland instead. It'll save you money on 'biners and get you closer to the MILF.

Totally new to rock climbing and i have a few questions. #1 what exactly is the differance between sport and trad climbing, and also anyone know any good beginner type rock climbs around the spokane/inland NW.

But you sounded like a seasoned expert on all the other threads....? :confused:

what the fuck one of you says i cant speak to the masses with 14 posts now i ask a ? like someone totally new to the site would and i get flamed really helpful considering i posted it in the Newb forum not the I claim to have soloed the wall of shadows forum, thanks much!

Ur right I would definately ask what the diff between sport and trad climbing was to try to start controversy, thats why Im not touching the religion and climbing post with a 10 foot pole im here to find partners and learn about climbing around here not to get flamed or accused of posting to start fights. If i wanted to start an arguement i would say there is no god or post something like the first reply to my ? basically saying sport climbing is for pussies.

Sport climbing is where you clip pre-placed bolts drilled into the rock hang on them, try a move, hang again and then spray about how hard you climb while elitist trad climbers tell you how full of shit you are.

Trad climbing is where you place temporary protection into cracks and other features and use eco-mindedness as an excuse for chest-beating and telling sport climbers how full of shit they are and how sport climbing is for pussies/wankers/fags/otheroffensiveinsults. See below.

Sport climbing = cut your balls off and enjoy Ronald McDonald Playland instead. It'll save you money on 'biners and get you closer to the MILF.

what the fuck one of you says i cant speak to the masses with 14 posts now i ask a ? like someone totally new to the site would and i get flamed really helpful considering i posted it in the Newb forum not the I claim to have soloed the wall of shadows forum, thanks much!
I'll answer your question assuming it's not a troll.

Sport climbing is leading on usually steep rock where permanent bolts have been placed to protect the pitch. The climbing is almost always face climbing. The bolts are placed in such a way that the climb is quite safe, assuming all proper precautions are taken.

In contrast, trad climbing is done with mostly removeable anchors such as chocks and camming devices placed in cracks and crevices. There can be bolts, but only located distantly from protectable cracks.

Sport climbing places all the emphasis on the climbing skills and little on the protection, since it takes little thought to clip a bolt. Trad climbing in contrast takes a great deal more expertise and experience to do safely. The fact that more time and thought is required to protect a pitch means that usually trad climbs of the same grade are harder than sport climbs.

Personally, I enjoy doing both. I like the mindless athleticism of clipping bolts, but I also like the mental challenge of protecting a scary, hard pitch while hanging on with one hand.

If you like climbing in the mountains then you need to learn trad climbing because bolts are few and far between in alpine situation, for the most part. There are a few exceptions.

Thank you for your answers, I am not nor is my post a Troll although i understand how a newb as outspoken and opinionated as myself might come off as one, or worse a complete jackass and for that I apologize im tryin to only post on climbing related stuff now thanks again.

what exactly is a troll

Look below to find your answer.

Sport climbing is where you clip pre-placed bolts drilled into the rock hang on them, try a move, hang again and then spray about how hard you climb while elitist trad climbers tell you how full of shit you are.

Trad climbing is where you place temporary protection into cracks and other features and use eco-mindedness as an excuse for chest-beating and telling sport climbers how full of shit they are and how sport climbing is for pussies/wankers/fags/otheroffensiveinsults. See below.

so your a sport climber.

1) Climbing = good sex

2) "Sport" - clipping bolts that are close = quickly pleasuring yourself.

Both are good: no argument from me, but you miss some subtle nuances in sport/pleasuring yourself.

Conversely, sport misses some painful and often ugly complexities of climbing/sex with it's simplicities.

Hope that helps.