Rainier Rangers

Adam13

I just got done reading the "solo rainier" thread and it brought up a question i wondered since earlier this year when i climbed rainier with a buddy of mine, the paradise ranger station was closed so he(who had been on rainier 5 times atleast before this) said we should consider just goin up with out a permit because he said he had never seen a ranger up on the mountain. so my question is this how often have any of you seen or been stopped by rangers anywhere above paradise but mostly above muir. We waited and got our permit and i would never climb without one because i know the money from the permits pay for the shelter at muir and not to mention not having them expecting you back if something unforeseen happens but how prevelant are rangers up there in reality.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not know that thank you it will be helpful in the future

it almost cost us too we didnt take a good tent and were the last to get a spot in the muir shelter, good thing too it was June 28th and we caught the winds(about 75 at cath gap and 60+ at muir) we were the only two to leave that night except rmi no one summited that day which was a good idea considering i have a pic of the mountain blanketed by a whiteout at sunrise when we were coming down from our aborted summit push

I've been stopped on the Cleaver by a ranger who asked for my permit, and just like you, had walked up there without registering because it was closed. He radioed down to the station, registered my partner and I on the spot and asked that we pay when we get down. They're super cool guys and they have a tough job, so you gotta respect what they're doing.

To answer you're question: I've seen at least one of them up there whenever I've been on the DC route.