Politics and climbing

Spencer

I just returned from a climb with a group of strangers, however after talking with them for two days it wasn't long before we all realized we were all "liberals", I usually have a no religion politics rule with people I don't know but sometimes it just happens.

So my question is do conservatives climb?

it's well known that several of the Kennedy's have made Rainier summit Al Gore and his son did it in "99" and Maria Cantwell has been seen up at Muir recently.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why you are comfortable using such vague symbolic words to describe the political beliefs of yourself and others. Willingness to believe that politics in this country must boil down to "liberal vs. conservative" is the absence of rational thought. Every time someone uses a vague symbolic word as a proxy for real, concrete political beliefs, their politics becomes for all intents and purposes a religion... and thus this country's most threatening holy war is entirely within its own borders.

Those in power would prefer that you thoughtlessly rally behind these meaningless symbols... don't fall for it.

Many, many, many conservatives climb. There have been at least 2 conservatives who climbed on K2 in recent years that were killed in Iraq working as security contractors. A few years ago a former Army Ranger working as a climbing ranger on Rainier had cause to remind a few of the BC rangers there that they were not indeed real rangers. It's doubtful you will cross paths with many of these people, they tend to stick to close circles.

I should have put both labels in quotation marks, we all know who is who, it doesn't bother me to talk or do activities with anyone regardless of "who they voted for" but it was very interesting that all eight people were became very talkative when politics came up . and it all started because one Woman had a No W sticker on her climbing helmet.

I tend to be with larger groups climbing it was just a observation.

And its well known in the south that Car Racing is for conservatives, I dont make it that way, its just that way.

If I'm with people who blather enough that I can identify their political slant then that's too much politics and not enough climbing.

When I'm climbing, I'm interested in what my climbing partner thinks about the quality of the rock, which line looks best, their favorite climb....not their politics nor their religion.

Over the years I've climbed with people of just about every political or a-political stripe. I haven't noticed a common political bent, but it does seem that the climbers I've met are somewhat bent. In any case, their politics, or lack thereof, had little to do with how much I enjoyed their company or how good a climbing partner they were/are. I've got pretty, uh, strong political views...if only I could get over my shyness issues about sharing them, but with new climbing partners it's probably best to hang back and let the magic happen however it happens. If that involves political discussion, fine. If not, fine too. Hopefully it involves a little climbing. A little bit of humor comes in handy, too.

Its obvious that conservatives can't be good climbers.

They have to have loaded guns in their house in order to feel safe - even when they live in some fancy suburb. How do you think they're going to do on the "sharp end?"

They hate paying taxes. You gotta pay permit fees to go climbing.

They are against education. Do you think they are going to learn their knots?

They love war and believe remote control combat can be done with "smart bombs" so nobody but the bad guys get hurt. How are they going to master the zen of real rock climbing? Or hand to hand with the willow thicket guarding the Pickets?

They hate the environment. You think they want to go out and hug trees?

Clearly, climbing is for liberals only.

nice I loved reading that post. I'm also tired of hearing conservatives rag on Democratic Candidates because they think they're gonna take all their guns, no one is stupid enough to believe you could take americans' guns away there are way too many pissed off rednecks with too much ammo for that to ever be possible anyway.

nice I loved reading that post. I'm also tired of hearing conservatives rag on Democratic Candidates because they think they're gonna take all their guns, no one is stupid enough to believe you could take americans' guns away there are way too many pissed off rednecks with too much ammo for that to ever be possible anyway.

wow, the idiot convention on cc.com is in fine form tonight.

dunno - w/ 14 posts ya can't really claim he speaks for the masses yet, eh?

my only consistent problems w/ extreme conservatives seems to their continual lack of humor - i can get along w/ the craziest fuckers imaginable so long as they like a good-natured laugh every coupla minutes...

"A few hours of mountain climbing turn a villain and a saint into two rather equal creatures." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

"Republicans is fine,

If you're a multi-millionaire

Democrats is fair,

If all you own is what you wear

Neither of 'em's REALLY right,

'Cause neithor of 'em CARE"

-- Frank Zappa

I'd say the observation that most climbers align more closely with the Left than the right is reasonably accurate whatever the local politics happen to be, and the reasons for that might make for an interesting thread.

As interested as I am in political topics, and as willing as I am to share my views in certain settings, I have little or no interest in engaging in political conversations when I'm out climbing, boating, skiing - any more than I have an interest in debating my in-law's religious viewpoints at the Thanksgiving table. There's a time and a place, and for me - when I'm out to enjoy myself in the outdoors with other people who share my enthusiasm for climbing, hiking, fishing, boating, etc - just isn't it. If it was, I think I'd have missed out on some great trips and times with people who I really like, but with whom I'll never agree with when it comes to religion and or politics. This has involved everyone from un-reformed Marxists to Creationists and everyone in between.

It has been kind of interesting for me to be a sort of ideological fly-on the wall on various outings, and listen to the political banter that's passing back and forth amongst folks who are operating under the assumption that everyone in the group is part of the same political Tribe.