[TR] Pickets - Luna Peak and adventure in unnamed

Steph_Abegg

Trip: Pickets - Luna Peak and adventure in unnamed drainage just north of Access Creek -

Date: 8/21/2007 - 8/24/2007

Trip Report:

1242086994_e8fd68c0c9_b.jpg

View from the summit of Luna Peak.

I just got back from my second attempt at a complete north to south Pickets traverse. Unfortunately, this attempt too did not go as planned, since my partner was getting quite beat up by the Pickets thus far and he decided he wanted to bail (NB. The Pickets really are as rugged as they say...).

The brief story of our trip is that we planned to ascend Access Creek but due to bad visability and bad assumptions and lack of map for the approach, we ended up ascending the unnamed drainage to the north of Access Creek. The bushwacking actually wasn't that bad, but when we got up to the ridge and the clouds cleared we realized our mistake, and had to spend half a day dropping down into the real Access Creek headwaters, where we camped. I climbed Luna the next day, before we headed out via Access Creek.

I have posted a trip report and photos here:

http://sabegg.googlepages.com/luna

-Steph

Edited by Steph_Abegg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang Steph! They are tough and I got it handed to me too this year, Both traverses I succeded on in years past, took at least 1 attempt, the single routes you can get lucky on but living high up there is sketchy and you are vulerable to bad weather and bad bails, Keep after it and find somebody tough! Try picking a better summer as well:)

what you have labeled in your panorama as Himmelhorn is actually the Rake...Himmelhorn is over by Twin Needles..hence, the Ottohorn-Himmelhorn Col

Thanks Ross - did I get it right this time? Perhaps I'd know the peak names if I ever got as far as the Southern Pickets... =)

Edited by Steph_Abegg

Lovely photos, including those on your website. Evocative of my own spanking in the northern Pickets years ago. (Maybe I do need to try that again...)

But on the subject of labeling, I think you have the West Peak of Fury marked as Swiss Peak, and that Swiss is that lowrider under the P of Phantom Peak. Check out for example page 117 in the 2nd edition of the Beckey guide.