Lost Crampons on Stuart Glacier

CKH

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Stuart Glacier and the rock slabs below are littered with gear... I was really surprised to find so much rubbish.

At the beginning of the first pitch on the East side start of the complete N. Ridge (under a boulder; 15-20' below the arching tree), I found a set of Camp instep crampons. With the rusty buckles, it looked as though they had been there for a long while.

I left them there.

The Stuart Glacier and the rock slabs below are littered with gear... I was really surprised to find so much rubbish.

Its not at all surprising. Over the years, I have known and personally witnessed a number of quite accomplished climbers (I won't name any names but you have probably read about them in "Climbing" and "Rock and Ice" magazines as well as various North Face advertisements) who feel completely justified in abandoning not just trash but gear that they feel is no longer needed, even when taking it out just means a little more helicopter air time. Some of it is toxic waste, like abandoned white gas. You will find all kinds of that shit in places like the Mt. Waddington area and Devil's Thumb just to name a few.

Its too bad that it also happens in such easily accessible places like Mt. Stuart too. :anger:

I'm all for keeping the mountains clean. Earlier this summer I packed 11 long, old, manky, slings off of Mt. Cruiser. No reason for 6-8 worthless slings to remain wrapped around the same boulder.

My ethic: if you absolutely have to leave gear... take something else out with you.

I can understand accidentally dropping gear and not being able to retrieve it, but purposefully abandoning gear is plain lazy and irresponsible.