Skiing ability of a Ski Patroller?

Dustin_B

How good of a skier do you have to be to be a ski patroller at say Stevens Pass? Does it vary from ski area to ski area? What about some place like Whistler? Do you have to be a 'better' skier to be a patroller at Whistler?

I realize its not just about your skiing ability, what else does a ski area look for in a potential patroller (other than EMT-1 cert or Outdoor Emergency Care and Avalanche Saftey experience)? Thanks.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen some pretty horrendous skiers patrolling out there. Usually the pro patrol at an area is reasonably good, but the volunteer patrol can range from extremely good to pretty poor. There are plenty of outstanding volunteer patrollers out there though.

I think the biggest asset for a patroller is to be a hard worker and have a positive attitude in ugly weather, and to be a "good talker" to get your way with people without them feeling pissed off, frightened, etc. Oh and a lot of patience and the ability to answer the same question over and over and over again.

I used to be a pro patroller and I tried out for 3 or 4 areas before I settled on one, so I've been through a few hiring clinics. Generally, what they want to see is that you're a solid skier in any conditions. Obviously, you need to be able to get to any part of the ski area in a reasonable amount of time, but it's much more important that you can get there in 20 inches of mashed potatoes or wind-scoured ice. I went through one clinic where I tried the approach of hauling ass everywhere, but the lack of control that comes with skiing at the edge of your ability is not a desirable quality. Your daily life as a patroller will involve skiing all types of terrain with large bundles of bamboo and rope, or a toboggan, and often without poles. So again, being solid is much more important than being a showboater. There were some fairly cautious skiers on patrol at the resort I worked at, but they could haul a toboggan through a bump field with the best of them.

As far as what else they are looking for: my experience has been that attitude is almost more important than skiing ability. Are you a whiner? What is your work ethic like? Do you get along with the group well? Because it's extremely important that you fit in since you will be placing your lives in each others hands. What is your customer service like? Unfortuanetly customer service is a bigger part of the job than most people realize.

Having prior avy knowledge certainly helps, but as long as you have your medical cert (the requirements vary from area, I had to have EMT-Basic and OEC)most places will take you on without extensive control experience. It also helps if you have a mountaineering or rock climbing background since you will be trained in lift evac and high angle rescue.

All in all, best job of my life. I'm hoping to be able to do it again someday.

To echo what other people have said. A very good attitude and a strong mountaineering background will put you well ahead of other folks who are trying to get on as ski patrollers. There is a lot of grunt work and shitty people(customers) you have to deal with. Being able to suffer though and evening shift in the rain with people bitching at you is a tuff skill, if you can make it through that and still smile then you've got it made.

The required ability does vary from area to area and is dependent on the area's ability to retain employees and the terrain offered. The two resorts I worked for had very different patrol cultures. One wanted badass patrollers hungry for steeps, the other took the approach that they were better off hiring people with good attitudes and at least strong fundamental skiing ability. The latter realized how quickly people get up to speed on their skills when they are on their skis every day. Both wanted the best skiers they could hire, but of course did not base hiring entirely on skiing.

They are looking for skiers who are strong, stable, able to ski variable terrain & conditions. What I'm saying is that you only need solid fundamentals to impress the patrol director. If you are able to get around everywhere on your skis, have a good level of fitness, don't seem likely to get hurt on the job, that's what they want as far as skiing ability. Ability to kick turn is desirable.

Other desirable qualities: punctuality, work ethic, common sense, dependability, modesty, good attitude, ability to have fun, willingness to learn.

Do you like bamboo, bandaging, babysitting and blowhards? If so, ski patrolling is for you!

The requirements vary whether you are a pro or volunteer, on the quality of the mountain, on the compensation offered and whether or not they were recently bought out. You don't have to be a great skier (if you are one you'd get bored quick patrolling)

You don't have to be a great skier (if you are one you'd get bored quick patrolling)

I think that varies a lot from mountain to mountain. For example, we have quite a few good skiers on our patrol, and they don't seem bored to me. However... we have a very low accident rate, and we get to do a lot of free skiing every day.

I agree though that skiing in control and solidly is the best asset for a ptroller. Getting on your skis every day will make you a better skier, so if you're other skills are up to par then you shouldn't have a problem.

A good alarm clock is handy too. ;)

I think that varies a lot from mountain to mountain. For example, we have quite a few good skiers on our patrol, and they don't seem bored to me. However... we have a very low accident rate, and we get to do a lot of free skiing every day.

I'm sure it does vary mountain to mountain, as well as with the people you have patrolling.

I guess where I was going with it was if you don't want make it a career, and aren't a volunteer, there are other ways to get in more skiing for less work, even without being a dealer.

Do you like bamboo, bandaging, babysitting and blowhards? If so, ski patrolling is for you!

The requirements vary whether you are a pro or volunteer, on the quality of the mountain, on the compensation offered and whether or not they were recently bought out. You don't have to be a great skier (if you are one you'd get bored quick patrolling)

Do you like skiing every powder day all season? Do you like to blow stuff up? Are you interested in weather and snow science? Do you like waking up early and spending your whole day in the mountains over and over again?

I'll admit, there are the days where you feel like a babysitter and have to answer the same questions over and over. They're called weekends. And as far as getting bored with skiing because you're a good skier and you get to do it everyday; I think that would have more to do with the mountain you work at. As long as you are somewhere that provides the kind of terrain you can get busy on, you can catch your line of the day on the way to the base to fill out paperwork on your "babysitting" charge. It's all about staying motivated and realizing that when you start to feel bored, it probably means you need to try a little harder and you will find something new again and again.

Do you like skiing every powder day all season? Do you like to blow stuff up? Are you interested in weather and snow science? Do you like waking up early and spending your whole day in the mountains over and over again?

woah! Ski patrol is the only way to do that? As I said:I guess where I was going with it was if you don't want make it a career, and aren't a volunteer, there are other ways to get in more skiing for less work, even without being a dealer.

Count me in the camp that isn't motivated enough to spend an entire season skiing at the same resort. They all get boring quick any resort (in N. America at least). Perhaps I just don't have the right mindset to be a patroller (as you can see part of that mindset is often a belief that patrolling is the greatest thing ever)

Nobody said that patrolling is the only way to do that. There are certainly other jobs in the ski industry that provide the same mix of snow science, medical service, and flat out good turns. It depends on the individual and what their interests are. If all you want to do is ski, and you don't have any desire to explore those other facets, then of course there are different jobs that allow you to ski more for less work. Being a bartender, for example.

I'm just trying to show the other side of the coin to the "blowhards, babysitting, bandaging and bamboo" that you seem to think embodies patrolling.

There are certainly other jobs in the ski industry that provide the same mix of snow science, medical service, and flat out good turns.

I guess I don't see patrolling as being a particularly good source to learn about any of those 3 individually. It's certainly not the worst, but definitely not the best.

You and I are both well illustrating patrol blowhards, IMHO

no tequila (it's muslim) but there was rotgut whiskey (for sale to paramilitary forces only), monkeys - close to midgets right?, and the draft animals were poor guys paid to drag fat indians wearing fur coats and selfsatisfied smirks on sledges

I hear they are looking for patrollers next season if you are interested....

Cool. Thanks for all the good info guys. I don't have the required certs, and I didn't ski much last season (only late spring) as I was out of the country, but patrolling definitely sounds like something I'd be interested in and that would be a good fit for me. I may try to be a liftie for a couple months and then try out for ski patrol. Again thanks.