• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

sshhhhhhh......
[Wink]

Yeah that's Eric Hutton's helmet in Andrew Port's hand... and it was on his pack when it got broken... but it sure makes a good photo that way.

Bonus question: (for anyone but Fern or Jordan Peters or Stefan) what is that ice climb in the background?

Polar Circus! Now pay up.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr Flash Amazing:

quote:

Originally posted by trask:

you can't collect on your own bet

dru=dfa

Coming from you Trask, should Dru be offended by that sporty comparison?

trask is my avatar i never offend myself. [Razz]

quote:

Originally posted by Dr Flash Amazing:

quote:

Originally posted by Greg W:

Nothing better than frying up tenderloins from an elk that you shot the day before...YUMMY!!!

Greg W

Would that be shot with a bullet or an arrow? Probably an arrow, what with the need to do things the correct trad way, right?

Personal weapons utilizing gunpowder to propel a lead-based projectile have been in use since the 16th Century. That's "Trad" enough for me!!!

Greg W

For the first 17 years, I always wore a helmet. Then I went through male menopause and wore one only when in the mountains (which, during male menopause I avoided, instead preferring fun in the sun rock climbing). The past few years I've worn one at all times climbing, even on days when it was apparent I had left my brains at home. I expect that my helmet obsessions has retruned for good. [Cool]

since I seem to attract falling objects, I always wear my helmet. There is already enough risk when climbing. Doesnt seem sensible to me to increase my odds of being hurt by leaving it at home or keeping it in my pack.

Actually, I learned my lesson NOT by being hit from ice or rock, but walking out from a climb. The trail was part ice/part rock. Didnt want to beat up my crampons, so I took them off. I had my helmet strapped to my pack for some reason. Slipped. Tried to save a fall down a decent hill into some trees and boulders (can you see my arms flailing? [Wink] ). Helmet came flying around my pack and smacked me in the eye...nice little shiner, I had! [laf]

I wear a helmet at Smith almost regardless of the route, even though it seems like quite a few do not. I think back to 98 when there was an accident on Titanium Jag. Leader fell back onto the belay then fell again and cracked his head open. Even with members from mountain rescue right there to evac him, there was little hope for him surviving such severe trama. Can't say for sure, but a helmet would most likely have kept him alive. It's a personal call and I don't get on peoples' cases when they don't wear one. Though I do in an alpine situation where I will have to haul your unconcious jello-brained ass out. I wish TNF would stop showing those Alex Lowe shots of him climbing tough ice helmetless. Maybe it was a safe situation but seems like they could set an example.

I never wore a helmet until I moved to WA. I just didn't see other climbers wearing them, and didn't see any rockfall. This was mostly in the Adirondacks.

I learned pretty fast that when they say the PNW is rainy, they're referring to the torrent of rock, ice and occasional nut tools, so I wear the helmet. But I still size up what other climbers are doing wrt helmets, approach shoes, how much water, etc. and go from there. So far so good.