Helmets

Nelly

Helmet on when

-leading on anything (trad, sport, ice)

-riding bike

-hanging out at base of really crowded crags, especially those frequented by gumbies (e.g. burgers & fries, 8-mile rock, even morning glory (smith) where you get rockfall from people climbing zebra/zion)

-climbing on multi-pitch anytime

-sometimes top-roping or seconding single-pitch stuff (depends on area, rock quality, etc.)

-but not gym climbing, bouldering (but I may start), wanking, cooking, drinking, hiking or doing field work (for some reason this seems to cause the most controversy)

-definitely when rocking the house [rockband] (at least the drummer's got one on! or is that hair?)

ooh I got page top - does this make me cool?

I wear my helmet while on top of the page...you could fall, eh?

[ 08-20-2002, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Geek the Greek ]

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never used to wear one rock clmbing, and only about half the time in the mountains.

Then I started reading "Accidents in North American Mountaineering," and began to wear one abit more frequently. Check it out, you'll see why.

Then I got hit square in the melon with a large chunck of ice from outa nowhere moving very fast.

My helmet saved my life. We are currently inseperable. Unless top-roping in a safe zone.

I make a point to wear my helmet when leading. Occasionally when toproping if there's much potential for rockfall from above. When I do space it off I'm a little perturbed at myself.

I wear it while scrambling if I have it along...I figure it's just as easy to carry the weight on my head as it is to have it swinging around on my harness or on the back of my pack.

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

how did that loin get to be tender? too much polishing of the purple helmet?
[laf]

Dru, Dru, Dru, Overpolishing leads to chafing, i.e., a tough exterior. Also, a loin CAN be too tender leading to, uh, limpness; which is never good. [Wink]

Greg W

No, thats Dru...

Although I think I had a similar experiance up at Lilooet last winter. I thought it broke my neck, and I saw stars for about another half hour. Then led the next pitch [big Grin] Shriek of the Sheep, coolest lookin roue in the Bridge from the road!

Sorry tp reveal you secret identity Dru...

sshhhhhhh...... [Wink]

Yeah that's Eric Hutton's helmet in Andrew Port's hand... and it was on his pack when it got broken... but it sure makes a good photo that way.

Bonus question: (for anyone but Fern or Jordan Peters or Stefan) what is that ice climb in the background?

[ 08-21-2002, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: Dru ]