• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pre-1999

No helmet sport climbing

Helmet trad climbing

Post 1999

Helmet all times

Note: since starting to wear a helmet full time, it has saved me from serious head injury at least twice--once due to rock fall, once in a leader fall that resulted in my head hitting the rock and breaking the helmet [Eek!] Now I don't climb without it.

Cheers to helmets! [big Drink]

I have had two friends fall and smack their heads while leading, resulting in temporary coma's and brain surgery and stuff like that. I don't understand why everybody thinks it essential to wear a helmet while riding a bike, but most climbers seem to think it is only necessary when you anticipate the possibility of rockfall.

I wear mine all the time, even sport climbing. I've seen too many accidents from either rock fall or other peoples stupidity.

One time at exit 38, I almost got hit in the head by another climbers helmet that somehow came off. Maybe they didn't read the instructions.

I also wear a helmet while biking and Snowboarding. I got a few scratches\dings in each.

i wear a helmet when

1) alpine climbing unless i forget it

2) ice climbing unless i forget it

3) trad climbing in the Rockies or at Vantage, except for the first time I went to Vantage when forsome reason I thoughtthere was rock there instead of choss....OK I only went there once but I would take one if I went back, which isn't likely...

4) caving (which I have only done once because if God had wanted us to crawl around in a hole in the ground She would have given us FLIPPERS!)

5) meteor shower is happening

6) at work during visits to active logging, trees are heavy...

7) riding bike

8) construction work

9) dumping and chasing, high-sticking, grinding and cross-checking in the corners, moving in on goal with a quick breakaway, he shoots....

[Wink]

Bah, gym climbing is neither. It's kinda funny that this place is so trad centric that the only jokes we ever get here are trads making fun of sportos - I don't remember any posts with sportos making fun of gym rats. It's like, hey, there's a piece of the food chain missing [big Grin]

Anyway, I'd climb in a gym if somebody bought me a membership - but I wouldn't wear a helmet anymore than I'd wear one for calisthenics or a jog.

[ 08-20-2002, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: fleblebleb ]

I always wear a helmet, even if I am just doing "difficult" scrammbling. Its a risk-reward thing and the risks of not wearing one are far greater than the rewards. I rather be "the hand" than not wear a helmet.

Just for the record: I don't wear a helmet in a rock gym, Marymoor wall, etc.