MSR White Gas

JoeClimber

God, it's been years since I've been on the side of a rock, I'd love to get back on but the bicycle for multi day trips has been my current craze. Here's the issue I have:

I love MSR stoves. I've used the MSR whisperlite all over the world on climbs and here in the US. I cannot remember a time that I did not use MSR fuel. It seemed always readily available, and they (MSR) always sell how it burns cleaner. I've had friends who have used gasoline and other fuels attest to this, but never experienced it first hand. Really? I know I have to change the jet for gasoline and don't care to go through the hassle.

Problem is, I am getting ready for a 10 day bike trip, I need my Stove with me, but finding MSR fuel in/around Chicago isn't so easy, seems like this part of the world shuns the outdoors.

I've looked at the Coleman fuel, it's alot cheaper but i fear the "dirty burn." Am I being pedantic about the fuel thing?

Does anyone know of a white gas fuel for the MSR that is readily avaiable AND burns clean? Has anyone burned coleman fuel and had clogging problems?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't fear the dirty burn, its just as good and a hell of a lot cheaper! I have used the Coleman fuel for up to 30 days straight in my Whisperlite, and did not have clogging problems. If you are going on an extended trip and relying on this single stove, it would be a good idea to pick up a repair kit (available at REI or any well stocked outdoor equipment retailer), runs about $20 but is sooooo worth it for that inevitable blow out. The kit has a cleaner thingy in case the stove gets clogged, which is not a real big deal in the first place. Before you go, make sure you know how to take apart and clean the stove and then put it back together... for obvious reasons. Have a great trip!

I've used coleman fuel almost exclusively with my old whisperlite -- and that thing has got to be something like 18 years old.

I've never had a problem -- every once in a while I need to take the cleaning pick to the jet, but it's no biggy. Damn stove will probably outlive me (knock on wood)

Thank you'all for your input.

I am off to get $4/gallon coleman as opposed to $6/litre of the MSR stuff... and it's a lot easier to find around here.

...Gonna ride the bike on a trip around northern Illinois when it gets a little colder and the mosquitoes are all dead.