Peaks you can't do in a day

Blake

Everyone who spends time in the North Cascades knows that it includes some of the most remote terrain in the US...

I was recently talking with some friends about peaks that can't be climbed in a day from your car, and we came up with quite a few suggestions on our own. Does anyone know of anyone who has climbed, or even attempted, peaks like Storm-King, Dome, Agnes, or Fury in day? Are there any other parts of the country (outside AK) where so many mountains are mandatory multi-day trips?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think that if you know the area good enough to be wandering around in the dark, those that you list could be climbed in a day (at least Agnes, Storm-King, and Dome; I cant comment on the Fury). The real challenge comes in doing non-standard routes in a day.

Are you talking about the standard semi in shape NW climber? Because if you broaden your criteria for car to car…..I would say Dean Potter could climb any peak of your choice car to car in a day.

Dean Potter wouldn't even survive some of the approaches. The type of athlete who could come closest would be an elite trail runner capable of soloing loose rock up to ~5.8

Are you talking about the standard semi in shape NW climber? Because if you broaden your criteria for car to car…..I would say Dean Potter could climb any peak of your choice car to car in a day.

Dean Potter wouldn't even survive some of the approaches. The type of athlete who could come closest would be an elite trail runner capable of soloing loose rock up to ~5.8

Whatever…..you know he resume right? El cap and half dome in a day…….How about Peter Croft?

croft could pull it off. But I'm with Blake, it's more folks who have the low 5th skills and just grit to run many many many miles of broken terrain and vegetation and suffer through the pain.

Climbing pristine splitter granite is hardly the same as wrestling alder at 2am after climbing the entire day (and putting in a half-marathon before that). Followed by another half-marathon.