who's wearing the very best down jacket?

nova

I am shopping for a down jacket with the following features- warm enough for the desert southwest in winter (sub zero ish....), lightweight, highly compressible, and tough exterior. It is to be used while climbing, camping, and drinking whiskey. I do not care about fancy zippers, high tech taped seams, or pockets on the arms. All I need is a really nice jacket that will keep me warm and not get all fucked up when I wear it. Any suggestions on what I should try and find? Feathered Friends seems like my best bet, is anyone wearing their lightweight jacket? Thanks for your help...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like down sleeping bags, but the best seem to be either Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering. Both companies make great, function oriented, warm jackets.

I have a Western Mountaineering jacket because I got a good deal on it, but I could have gone with either. If you're looking at a Feathered Friends jacket, go for it! They make great stuff.

Cool, thanks everybody for the advice. Good gear DOES mean more fun (for me anyway...), although the warmest lightest jacket probably won't eliminate the misery of another northern hemisphere winter. I think I'll make my way over to Feathered Friends this afternoon!