[TR] Mt St Helens - Monitor Ridge 8/18/2007

olyclimber

Trip: Mt St Helens - Monitor Ridge

Date: 8/18/2007

Trip Report:

As promised, here is my account of CLIMBING the Cascade Jewel Mt. St. Helens:

Drove down from Seattle Friday night with TEAM VOLCANO ERUPTUS. We wallowed in traffic for much of the way, but sucked it up and pushed on all the way to Olympia (NOT MY HOMETOWN. I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH OLYMPIA). There we had the cheapest pizza pie (size XL with softdrink for $5 at "Pizza Time" between three people) I have had in forever. Here in Olympia we found a Pole Dancing Academy around the corner from the pizza place (also teaches pilates there) which proved to be very useful the next day.

After brushing up on the pole dancing technique we pushed on for the big mountain.

Nearing the basecamp we came across information that we were in Sam-Sqanch territory. We decided to continue on, despite the danger.

I don't want to ruin anyone's onsite of the route with too much beta, but it was a glorious adventure. Unfortunately we couldn't see anything from the summit (other than a little bird and a bunch of people), so perhaps I'll have to return next year with skiis to have look.

Enjoy these pictures of our busy jewel to the south:

elk:

elk.jpg

elk:

elk2.jpg

Dances with Poles (notice how off route dude is!!!):

helens1.jpg

big_foot.jpg

rocks.jpg

pano.jpg

pano2.jpg

totem.jpg

down2.jpg

up.jpg

down.jpg

fog.jpg

lunch.jpg

bird.jpg

Gear Notes:

Ash Gators are recommended.

Approach Notes:

Lots of traffic on I-5.

BEWARE OF SAM-SQANCH! HE HAS BEEN SIGHTED NEAR HERE!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mt St Helens is my favorite peak …it has it all, a view of Rainer, Adams, Hood and a look into the crater, wicked feeling standing on the cornice looking at the lava dome. One time I climbed through the rain to a sunny summit and a glorious view of all the peaks above the clouds.

I like to do it mid summer, start at daylight, 3 hours to the summit with ski poles than do the ape caves when it’s hot…they are a must do!!!

I took my girlfriend through the ape caves on 8/13/07 she wasn’t expecting that much scrambling she was jazzed, we had a great time, we started early from the first entrance going up, I like it better that way, we did not see a sole in the mile and a 1/2 upper cave, I always forget how hard the moves are on the wet 8ft wall, it actually feels like climbing.

what the hell are those things in "the receiver's" pack? wooden dowels?

Lets just say that my friend has the World-Wide Ass Kissing Championship wrapped up for '07 and there are still 4 months left to go! I'm proud of him and only disappointed that I didn't think of it myself. PM for details, I can't let the secret out!

Not only preferred but required to get your permit.

Bob up there on our 'climb' last year:

8997IMGA0595.JPG

BTW: I still have 2 undated permits from last year the nice lady at the store gave me when 3 of our party backed out and she sold only one of the three during the day for me. I wonder if they are still good?

• 5 weeks later...