GPS Recommendations

Kraken

I'm in the market for a GPS and was looking for some feedback from those who have used them. This is one that will be used primarily in Alaska so it will need to operate well in the cold.

Also, I've heard that ones with external antennas acquire satellite signals both quicker and with better strength than those with internal antennas.

Suggestions?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I've heard that ones with external antennas acquire satellite signals both quicker and with better strength than those with internal antennas.

While probably still somewhat true, it is less of an issue these days for internal antenna units that use the SiRFstar chipset. They lock on to signals fast and stay locked on in areas (e.g. heavy forest, deep valleys) where older technology would lose the signals. I wouldn't recommend an external antenna unit unless it's only going to be used inside a vehicle. Even then, it's probably not necessary unless you're in a major urban area with lots of tall buildings.

Suggestions?

If you want to immediately see where you are on a topo or street map, the 60CSX is a good choice. If you plan to carry a map and just want to occasionally check your position or record where you've been, a cheap unit like the Geko 201 or 301 would be fine.

There are so many models available today it's really just a matter of finding a unit with the features that match your intended/expected use.

Edited by PaulB