Final word - Bolting Controversies

billcoe

In a reference to keeping a open mind, I shockingly found this and it applies.

"The people who object most strongly to anything, I have found, are those who believe that there is only one way of thinking, and that way is their own."

Discuss? Or is that the final word ?

Holy shit....I bet this conversation is about to take a hard turn in 3.....2.......1....

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one extreme: ban bolting which eliminates bolts period

second extreme: ban power drills which controls the number of bolts

the results: climbers hand drilling bolts and putting alot of thought into that placement because hand drilling is not easy, and most lazy fuckers won't even bother.

i like climbing cracks alot so it probably makes me bias.

This doesn't make sense. If one believed there was only one way of thinking, then they would feel no need to argue, because they would be confident that people would only be capable of thinking this one way already.

This type of person, having realized that people can only think one way, would just resign to the attitude of "everything's fine: there is nothing to argue about."

Consider an adherent of the widespread illogical belief that bolts just appear out of thin air, and that there is nothing that anyone can or should think or do about it...

"The people who object most strongly to anything, I have found, are those who believe that there is only one way of thinking, and that way is their own.

Very interesting.

Is this surprising at all? If you are at one extreme, there is only one way you can move and that is away from the extreme and towards your opponent's viewpoint. If you are in the middle, you can go in either direction. You have more degrees of freedom and hence there is not the same need for defensiveness.

You guys are commenting as if the quoted statement were "those who believe that there is only one

way of thinking."

:confused:

You can also expect that the strongest opinions will come from those who feel most that their understanding of reality is isolated or theatened.

There will be never be a final word on bolting as long as bolting is recognized as a human activity.

This doesn't make sense. If one believed there was only one way of thinking, then they would feel no need to argue, because they would be confident that people would only be capable of thinking this one way already.

This type of person, having realized that people can only think one way, would just resign to the attitude of "everything's fine: there is nothing to argue about."

Consider an adherent of the widespread illogical belief that bolts just appear out of thin air, and that there is nothing that anyone can or should think or do about it...

philosophy major?

how many bolts have you placed in good rock? are you a hang dogger? did you you get anything over a D+ in college?

You guys are commenting as if the quote statement were "those who believe that there is only one
way of thinking."

You can also expect that the strongest opinions will come from those who feel most that their understanding of reality is isolated or theatened.

There will be never be a final word on bolting as long as bolting is recognized as a human activity.

maybe it was his final word....

ever heard of homo joe?

You guys are commenting as if the quote statement were "those who believe that there is only one
way of thinking."

ever heard of homo joe?

You're not the...

way of thinking."

ever heard of homo joe?

sharpest tool...

way of thinking."

ever heard of homo joe?

in the shed, are ya? ;)

Ummmm... I know you are, but what am I

Holy shit....I bet this conversation is about to take a hard turn in 3.....2.......1....

Surely we all saw that coming.

But it wasn't what I was referring too in my quoted comment.

Hot Damn, I'll bet the bone might guess it before any of you dull tools:-)