Temps. in the alaska range?

jackthenewb

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are talking april/may it can really vary. Generally speaking plan of freezing your balls off. Sure it gets warm (feels like 50-60) but at night it can frequently drop well below zero so bring a warm ass sleeping bag and booties for night life and camp livin.

You won't likely need down pants during that time in the Ruth, day or night. A 10F bag at basecamp would be plenty warm enough.

In June, when the sun is out during the day, you're likely to be climbing in a t-shirt.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'backpacking' around the Gorge area- are you going mountaineering, or hiking/bushwhacking in the lower realms? Travel in the Gorge even well into summer will be most effective with skis, even off the main glaciers. If you're talking about just hiking around the foothills or smaller peaks below or to the east of the Ruth, there likely will still be snow down to about 1000'; that's about the time also that the snowpack starts to come down and there is a lot of avalanching especially on south faces.

well what I meant by backpacking is that I'm not going to be summiting one particular mountain. So skis are the best for travel in the gorge. what about snowshoes? will crampons just sink in? The only reason I said backpacking is because I didn't know what you meant by base camping. how much mountaineering gear will I need? I was thinking just being roped up on the glacier with an ice ax and crampons. But will I need a full rack.

• 4 weeks later...