[TR] Static Point (Sultan, WA) - Online and Lo

mattp

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry you are offended by my post, Mark. I certainly said nothing any more snide than your quip: "This has been common knowledge for about 15 years." If you ever want to go back and replace bolts some time, let me know. I have spent several days up there doing bolt replacement already and most of those those three bolt belay stations on On-Line, while not an extreme safety nightmare in my view, are certainly ugly and ripe for some improvement.

I'm sorry you are offended by my post, Mark.

No Matt, I'm sorry I irritated your thin skin, I just shocked that an expert bolter like you would not be aware of Ed Leeper's well publicized recall

If you ever want to go back and replace bolts some time, let me know.

Yea, yea, like I'm really interested in keeping you informed on my whereabouts

I have spent several days up there doing bolt replacement already

You are a selfless individual, and deserving of canonization

Mark, I'm well aware of the recall. I've been actually replacing those things for that reason - for ten years. I heave even helped replaced some bolts and hangers on a route that you initally installed at Three O'Clock Rock and I didn't take notes but had you placed Leepers or maybe SMC hangers or something? Old hardware is all over the place. I'm in favor of replacing it.

Now: shouldn't I ship this exchange to Spray? This is getting silly.

Mark, I'm well aware of the recall. I've been actually replacing those things for that reason - for ten years. I heave even helped replaced some bolts and hangers on a route that you initally installed

Wow, don't hurt your shoulder patting yourself on the back. You're such a needy person, just buck up, shut up, and quit telling everyone how selfless you are.

at Three O'Clock Rock and I didn't take notes but had you placed Leepers or maybe SMC hangers or something?

um, yea. What else was available in 1979? Pre recall? And your point is?

My point is that you are whining about bad bolts, and the deadly belay stations you complained about had (by your description) a 3/8" biolt and two 1/4's. You state that an entire crag is "rotting away" with bad bolts, but in fact probably half the routes there, and certainly half the ones that anybody wants to do, have new hardware. I haven't asked for any big accolades, but information about what we find when replacing old bolts is probably of interest to other posters on this board, even if you aren't interested in it. Bolts that you know are bad and which you placed remain on a route you put up at Three O'Clock Rock and you are attacking me over just what, exactly? That I have been replacing old bolts and you (apparently) have not?

Why don't you quit your bitching and come camping next week so maybe we can finish replacing the old bolts on your old climb? There are some Leeper hangers on a route far more popular that I would replace first, but yours should probably be on "the list." We might even have some fun along the way.

Mark, I'm well aware of the recall.

I don't know how dangerous those old recalled Leeper hangers are

It is difficult to rectify those two statements.

I haven't asked for any big accolades

But you mention it every other sentence

My point is that you are whining about bad bolts, and the anchors you complained about had (by your description) a 3/8" bolt and two 1/4's. Bolts that you know are bad and which you placed remain on a route you put up at Three O'Clock Rock.

I have no idea what is on Magic Bus, because it has been retro bolted like mad. When I did it, there were three bolts total on it. And immediately after the FA, I thought it was the stupidest route in the world.

I have been replacing old bolts and you (apparently) have not?

That is something that you don't know

Now it is the time for you to try to get the last word. Rattling your chain is like shooting ducks on a pond.

Where are these Leepers on Online anyway?

Perhaps there's one or two off to the side, or acting as a third or fourth bolt near an anchor, but I've never found a need to clip to any Leepers on Online. If they are there, they may be garbage but not they're not dangerous (an attractive nuisance at the worst).

Where are these Leepers on Online anyway?

Perhaps there's one or two off to the side, or acting as a third or fourth bolt near an anchor, but I've never found a need to clip to any Leepers on Online. If they are there, they may be garbage but not they're not dangerous (an attractive nuisance at the worst).

I think the Leepers were on Offline and only a few of them. The hangers on Online are SMC. I also saw some on the third(?) pitch of Granite Jihad. Edited by catbirdseat