Foldable helmet

plexus

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the seams and joints I don't trust. Looks like it could burst on impact.
There are plenty of helmets that can burst on impact and there are plenty of helmets that can break if you clip them to the back of your pack and happen to drop the pack carelessly.

If the helmet can pass UIAA tests then it is probably as good as the rest of them. I'll stick with my Ecrin Roc, thanks.

this foldable helmet would go great with my detachable penis.

Great song..

I can't see how it saves any space?!? Can't you stuff things into a regular helmet in your pack? If anything I'd think that would take up more space..

I'm sure it's safe and all though. Look at bicycle helmets. If you use one in a crash you toss it and get a new one. That's the price of light weight. Not to mention the helmet deteriorating during impact is distributing and absorbing the force.

I asked someone in a climbing shop (I forgot where) why I can't use a bicycle helmet for climbing. They said a climbing helmet is designed for TOP impact, where a bike helmet is designed for SIDE impact. If that makes a difference.

My helmet gets most of it's wear and tear from me taking off and throwing down my pack while it's hanging on the back, and from me standing up into rocks without looking up and banging my head. BAM! Saved a few bloody scalps with it.

Climbing helmets protect you from small, high velocity objects; they aren't intended to protect your melon from slamming into a stationary object.

Still, I climb with a Roc, myself.

When one stops to consider that more people die from slamming into stationary objects than from falling objects, perhaps most helmets are not properly designed. We wear helmets to protect ourselves. We don't care what the source of trauma is. We want to protect our noggins.

In my opinion, climbing helmets are the single most poorly designed piece of equipment we use today.

Climbing helmets protect you from small, high velocity objects; they aren't intended to protect your melon from slamming into a stationary object.

Still, I climb with a Roc, myself.

When one stops to consider that more people die from slamming into stationary objects than from falling objects, perhaps most helmets are not properly designed. We wear helmets to protect ourselves. We don't care what the source of trauma is. We want to protect our noggins.

In my opinion, climbing helmets are the single most poorly designed piece of equipment we use today.

I'd like a helmet that protects against acceleration, too!

I guess its a matter of weight, however...

You're moving about 20mph after a 32' fall, and you just keep accelerating. You pretty quickly gain enough speed to move out of the bicyle helmet (1m drop test) to the motorcycle drop test (3m drop test).

I wonder what kind of helmet you'd need to pass a 10m drop test.

You can protect against acceleration, if your willing to climb in something that is pretty close to a motorcycle helmet. Maybe an airbag-like-thingy.

Physics, it seems, is not on our side. :(

Edited by DavidHiers