LED headlights

Just bought one of these. The combination of one superbright lensed LED for trickier terrain and two regular LED's was definitely a plus on the descent/walk out from Synchro...

"The Zenix Headlamp is the first all-LED headlamp to introduce "HyperBright" LED technology. These "HyperBright" LEDs are compact, incredibly energy efficient and provide five times more light than traditional LEDs. Their energy efficiency results in a reduced environmental impact, because battery changes are less frequent and LEDs never need to be replaced. We’ve designed the Zenix Headlamp to generate an intense, focused beam of LED light—a beam that rivals that of lower-wattage xenon bulbs. This lamp incorporates a “lensed” Hyperbright LED that is flanked on each side by a SuperBright LED; a switch allows the user to toggle between the SuperBright LEDs for proximity illumination and the lensed HyperBright LED for beam-throwing light. Unlike xenon bulbs, LEDs never need to be replaced. Waterproof to IPX standards and weighing a mere 90 grams, the Zenix sets a new standard in backcountry hands-free lighting. A great option for the user who wants an energy efficient, beam-projecting headlamp. Approximate burn time of 12-15 hours at full strength, and 140 hours on two SuperBright LEDs. Reengineered battery pack holds 3 AAA batteries."

http://www.bdel.com/gear/lightware/zenix.php

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found the Ion was just too small. After losing three of them in a row, all within a week, I surmised that the small size and streamlined shaped makes them a natural for squirting out of pockets, pack lids and other storage spaces... I stopped buying them and just went with my Tikka.

For long night climbs, like ice climbing in the moonlight, I still use my 10 yr old Zoom w/ 4.5V flat battery cause it is still brighter than any LED lights I've tried (even though it's much heavier too) and burns for 24 hrs with no weakening of the light.

I've been using the PT Yukon HL for a couple months now. I bought it when I was trying to buy a Myo 5 that was out of stock. Anyway, I'm much happier with the HL. The one watt LED is very bright, I've even rigged it to my bike helmet and put away my Niterider which sucked up too much battery power. The HL is supposed to last about 45 hours on high power, 120 on the 3 smaller LEDs, and I use the lithium AA batteries for better cold weather performance.

I can't say enough good things about this light.

http://www.princetontec.com/press_release_eclipse_impactii.html

I have been having trouble with my 4.5v batteries for my Zoom. The contacts in the batteries seem to be loose from the factory. This has happened on the last three or four batteries that I have purchased. Is there a bad lot out there or am I just having bad luck?

loose from the factory is a possibility. the us distributor will fix em for you. tho it might just be the female connectors need a little pinch with pliers

I loved my moonlight until it just stopped working in the middle of a night hike one night. I've heard from some of you miscreants that BD has fixed that problem though. There used to be a company called Jet designs that looked promising, but their domain name is up for sale. I'm with Dru, I have my Petzl Arctic that's been going strong over 10 years now, dog chew marks and all. Yeah yeah yeah, it's heavy, but it's a great lamp.

I loved my moonlight until it just stopped working in the middle of a night hike one night. I've heard from some of you miscreants that BD has fixed that problem though. There used to be a company called Jet designs that looked promising, but their domain name is up for sale. I'm with Dru, I have my Petzl Arctic that's been going strong over 10 years now, dog chew marks and all. Yeah yeah yeah, it's heavy, but it's a great lamp.
The same thing happened to mine. A wire came loose. I took it back to REI for a replacement. The replacement has an improved wire connection along with some additional functionality. There are now three intensity settings and a flashing mode.