kayland multitraction or la sportiva trango s

mwills

anyone have any opinions on either of these boots?? both seem to be great cascade boots.

kayland multitraction

la sportiva trango s

i did have a chance to try on the trango s:

- super-light (1/2 weight of nepal top/extreme)

- semi-rigid sole - similar to the trango plus, however unlike the trango plus it has a great rocker sole.

- suprisingly supportive for being so light.

they seem like they would climb just as well as the trango pluses, but would be much more enjoyable on the approaches. although i'm not sure about the water-tightness of the trango s - many seams. not to mention the red looks a bit obnoxious (grey not available).

i would be curious to hear about the multitraction from kayland. what do you think?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

as a follow up:

went with the trango s. i've been wearing them like they are going out of style. getting some wierd looks from the urban outdoorsy type here in portland [Roll Eyes] .

hits: [big Grin]

- light, at 2lb 10 oz they are about 1/2 the weight of your average mtneering boot (but still much heavier than the garmont tower).

- sole: great rocker sole. good rubber. great for edging with no fold over. easy to resole.

- lots of support and protection for the weight - especially around the forefoot.

- very breathable. with no waterproof membrane in the boot you won't have to worry about trench foot. the dri-lex lining seems to help in pulling moisture out of the boot.

- good lacing system with no hardware - nice to have if you plan on jamming these into a crack

-only $225 retail. do a little looking and you should be able to find them much cheaper.

misses: [Mad]

- no waterproof membrane. i'd be weary of too many stream crossings in this boot. be sure to apply some good silicon repellent.

- red? screams gumby. very obnoxious out of the box but should fade into a nice pink with time [Eek!]

- rand could be a little higher on the side of the boot. this would add some durability and water tightness

- get some real insoles [Mad]

so, with that said i think these will be great boots. overall, a great boot at a reasonable price. the next test is to see how well the many seams on the boot hold up. as an aside: i also have the trango plus and i can say that they will spend the remainder of their life in the closet [Wazzup] .