Goat Hunting

MATT_B

No I don't want to kill a goat but I would like to see one. Maybe even some what close up. I'm looking for recomendations of places to go for a decent chance to see some mountain goats that is a reasonable day trip from Portland. I remember seeing some in the Mazama glacier area on Adams years ago. Any other suggestions? Hopefully this won't go to spray too quickly.

Thanx in advance!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not the best day-trip option b/c of driving distance, but certainly do-able in a day... Ingalls Lake from the Esmerelda Basin TH. You're guaranteed to see goats near Ingalls Pass, and you can get within 5 feet of them if you give them a little treat... (this means start peeing after you've spotted one and it will come lick it up as you're still going - just do it on a rock so they don't dig up the vegetation).

Good odds at ingalls lake, but not a guarantee. Two summers ago, my wife and I camped near the lake and were surrounded by ~ 15 of the critters, including two kids that played king of the boulder 7' outside our tent for about 30 minutes in the middle of the night. I ran up the South Ridge of Ingalls last Tuesday, and didn't see a single goat the whole day.

Good odds at ingalls lake, but not a guarantee. Two summers ago, my wife and I camped near the lake and were surrounded by ~ 15 of the critters, including two kids that played king of the boulder 7' outside our tent for about 30 minutes in the middle of the night. I ran up the South Ridge of Ingalls last Tuesday, and didn't see a single goat the whole day.

True. I was there 2 weeks before to climb Stuart, and we saw 2 goats, a nanny and a kid, and that was it. 2 weeks later were there to climb Ingalls, and we were surrounded by them. I think those posers just saw my camera and had to cheeze it up.

The enchantments.

Take a piss on granite up by Sprite lake or the like and they'll come running towards you from 100s of yards away.

There is now a sign in front of the Kain hut telling people not to piss on or near the front porch as the local wildlife will come and chew on it.

So which one of you imbiciles was pissing on the porch up there?