Black Diamond Viper

wdietsch

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a BD guy using these Last winter at Ouray. They looked pretty cool. I think this is BD's answer to the Quark. The aluminum shaft has more bend than the cobra, but a little less than the Quark. The head and pick is the same as cobra. The grip is a little smaller. Not sure about the aluminum shaft for me. I like the dampened swing feel of carbon fiber.

I talked to the BD rep last month and he told me that the viper is a better "hooking" tool, as the aluminum shaft is stiffer than the carbon. The Cobra is a better "pure swinging" tool, better balance and penetration in thin/shitty ice, less shattering and such.

They have a new screw called the Turbo coming out also

The article I read mentioned that they were going to discountinue the Shriek (no great loss IMO) and the Viper would be positioned between the Cobra and the Rage.

I'll stick with my old BP's and save my pennys for one of those "Subarus" trask is posting.

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

Is there any chance BD will ever make a straight tool again rather than all this modern art curvy bullshit? Whatever happened to the prophets?
[Confused]

discontinued ... but you can still buy the staight shafts off BD'd website for $139.00

boyz...boy...boyz...

what trask is spoutin off as a subuaru is a Porsche Carrea. that thing could smoke a subaru without even gettin outta 3rd gear!

and the new tools looks nice. and ray i am sure that these tools attachments are compatable with the others. it has been like that for bd since the x-15s.

Just a quick note on the Viper -- I work for BD so this is the latest info on this tool.

The Viper is being manufactured now and should be available within a few weeks. It's a killer tool with all the features of the Cobra (similar head parts, uses the same picks, big clearance, etc.)but a few critical changes. The Viper shaft isn't carbon fiber so you don't get the vibration dampening. It's an aluminum shaft with slightly more clearance. It has a different, smaller diameter grip that as others have pointed out, should fit smaller hands alot better.

The killer part is -- there's an Android leash you can get that bolts straight to the shaft with no webbing component attached to the head of the tool. Also, there's a cool "leashless" attachment that bolts on to the spike area of the Viper that works really well. That part is called the Viper Fang.

We should have demos of these things at all the big ice festivals, etc. this fall and winter.

ew