ascenders which ones???

letsroll

I put this in the rock forum instead of the gear forum. Seemed a more direct place to get my questions answered. If this is not correct please feel free to move.

I am thinking about picking up some ascenders. My choice is between the Peztl ascention or the Black Diamond nForce. The Peztl is the classic and the ones I would have purchased till I read the review on RC.com. The reviewer noted that the BD ascenders would be good one icy ropes, in the big wall book I am reading the make also note that ascenders of a simular type are good on icy ropes. I don't want to buy more gear than I have to, so one set is the goal. Has anybody used the DB nForce??? Would the Peztl work as well as the DB style in icy conditions??? The reviewer on RC said that the BD were not too bad to work, or not at least any harder to work than the Peztl. I am going to do some aiding next month but would like the option of having the gear for some bigger climbs in the winter that I have my eye one if I get things figured out this fall hence the icy rope question. But mostly I just want to buy only ONE set :) Also I noticed on the Peztl and the Yates ascenders that they have two holes on the bottom to clip into. How important is this?? I guess the Yates are an option as well, are these any better than the others?

While I am asking questions there has been refereces to offset nuts. What are these? How are they different than regular nuts? I have the BD nut set for reference.

(please forgive any spelling errors)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I am asking questions there has been refereces to offset nuts. What are these? How are they different than regular nuts? I have the BD nut set for reference.

offset nuts have different widths on either side, which helps in flaring placements

Well Counterfeitfake there is nothing like planning for the worst and hope for the best. Maybe that is just me. I hope to god I never have to jug icy ropes and don't plan to. To be sure if I ever have to I will let you know how it went after I clean out my shorts.

Rob thanks for the info. I just have not come across those and have yet to see a placement for them. But I have not been looking. Offset cams yes, but not nuts.

I like the simplicity of the Petzl Ascenders. There are a few other companies (Yates, Jumar, etc..) that make a similar unit with a single pivot.

The new BD nForce ascenders have multiple pivots. These could get crudded up over time. When aid climbing, simple is almost always better.

Any toothed ascender will grip an icy rope. The Petzl units have been used on Everest and Denali for years with no trouble.

Offset nuts kick ass. The old HB aluminum offsets were good for free climbing as well as aid. THey set in big pin scars like nothing else. Sadly, they are out of production. DMM has picked up the design and will be shipping new anodized sets in April.

In the meantime, pick up some larger brass offsets. I have a couple sets of Metolius Astro nuts and a few sets of BD micros. The biggest 5 sizes are good replacements for the #1-4 nuts that come with a regular set of stoppers.

Letsroll, 1 word, 1 word for the graduate: HB.

If I was only buying 1 set, I would buy these:

HB Ascenders

$79 for 2 - heavier duty and better trigger release than the Petzls. Joseph bought a set of the Nforces, they are heavier, and I don't like the way the teeth open, I could see myself f*ucking my skin up if I didn't have a wall glove on when taking it off a rope.

76541.jpg

BTW, I love the small offset nuts have several sets. The larger ones are OK, but ....eh....they're OK, some folks think they are special.

I bought a set, if you want to see them, let me know and I'll drag them over and you can compare them heads on to the Petzls.

Petzl Ascenders are the Standard, I have used mine for many years and have been up El Cap numerous times, in my opinion no other ascender is close. They are light weight and are the easiest and quickest for unclipping on and off the rope, which is a big plus on steep walls. The BD's are a bit ackward to unclip off the rope.

Edited by Highlander

I have used the petzl ascensions and just bought the N-Force. I think the ascensions work good and smooth, but the N-Force does in fact feel more secure. I am happy with them because they are much more sheath friendly than the petzl/yates/HB/anyothers due to the angle of the teeth. People say that the N-Force is more harsh on the core of the rope, but when BD tested them to failure, the rope actually faired better than all the hardware!!! It's up to you, but the N-force are definitely awesome. and if you like to take pics when ice climbing you're probably going to jug an icy rope!!!!

Yeah, I have both Petzl Ascensions and BD NForces. My conclusion? I want the NForce teeth on the Ascensions. So far I'm preferring the Petzl units.

HB aluminum offset nuts - it doesn't get any better, so I guess I fall into the category of folks who think they're special. I stocked up on a few sets when HB went under and am glad I did. I'll believe DMM will get them out when I see them hanging in a store. I'm also bummed out that they changed the colors on them and aren't going to epoxy them both of which really sucks - one you could easily do something about, the other is a bit more difficult. Neither is an "improvement".

Oh, and I'd happily buy any #8 or #9 HB aluminum offsets from any of you folks who think they're just ok.

Thanks for info guys. I will look into the HB's. I hope to give the Petzl's a try some time soon. I am going to set up a traverse in my garage to pratice cleaning a traverse. Can't quite picture it in my head after reading about it, so better try it on the ground than on the route. If I find any offset nuts then I will grab some and let you all know. Think I will try to borrow all the gear I can this trip just to test it all out to ensure I know what I am looking for.

Fenderfour, How many sets of the BD micro's do you have and how many sets of the Metolius offsets do you have??