Do i want to move to Troutdale?

sk

Why

Why not?

if not there, then were in the PDX area do i want to move???

this is for reals guys. not happening yet but it could happen. i need to know where the best areas are up there for me and my family.

Thank you for the info

xoxoxoxo

muffin

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why Troutdale?

It’s close to the Gorge, Mt. Hood and Broughtons for climbing. It does get blasted by snow and ice in the winter due to its location by the Gorge. I would say the place in Ptown with the most culture is SE Portland. If you want the best bang for your buck (as far as buying a home), Vancouver takes that prize.

I grew up in Portland and if I was moving back there I would certainly consider Troutdale. Here's why:

-I ski, it's 1 hour 15 minutes to Meadows.

-Broughton's (not the best climbing in Portland, but accessable and decent)

-Columbia River Gorge kicks ass

-Closer to Beacon

-The Flying J truckstop has cheap gas

Here's why not:

-No real nightlife or good pubs (at least when I lived there)

-You might be tempted to climb at Broughton's too much

- Depending on where you work the commute up and down I-84 is a pain in the ass.

My 2 cents.

Muffster: If troutdale is close to your work (time is money), then check out places on the Sandy river. Get high enough that the 100 year floods don't sweep you away:-)

When my family lived in a tent, we camped (lived) on the river for a while and I can assure you that between the swimming and hiking, (and all the crap that everyone has elaborated on above) it's an awesome place for kids.

Lived near there 30 years. Bills got the Sandy pegged, Corbets not so bad, just seems to be trailer trash around alot . Just think if you could live in the Gorge!

In the Winter, be prepared to get rocked by winds.

Listen to Wayne.....he helped develop alot of the hard climbs at Broughtons.....

i knew i could count on you guys for good information!!! Thank you all of you. nothing is for sure yet, but my boyfriend is looking for a new job. there is not a whole lot going on in the eugene area so if he wants more of a job he will have to move. i have the boys to consider so there are certain things i will not do. like move to Ohio. we will likely land in seattle or portland. both are great places to live with lots of outdoor stuff to do. but i don't want to live in the city. i am not apartment dwelling material. i need some space. so a small suburban town sounds like the answer. we shall see what happens. I like the looks or troutdale. i remember bad things about gresham... we will see what comes of it and if i move i will be sure to let you all know.

i am sure i will ask about a million more places before all is said and done.

you guys RULE!!!!

xoxoxooxoxox

muffin

I hardly consider troutdale a "small suburban town" these days. It's sprawl, with a truckload of stoplights and traffic. I can't really tell it apart from gresham.

where would you have Muffy live???

looked at Sandy today... houses are great in a price rage we can consider and only 15 miles from the main income source... looks promising. scary as all hell but promising :moondance:

commuting tip of the day: measure your commute by time not distance :yoda:

troutdale. gresham. beaverton. tigard. oregon city. sandy. milwaukie... different city names... same strip mall sprawl

my advice would be live where you live

if your work is your life then by all means live close to it.

if climbing is your life live close to a climbing area.

if your boys are your life live in a good school district.

if you value all the things that makes PDX great then you should live in PDX... and not commute to it every evening.

etc etc etc

PS PDX is way way way more houses than apartments so you can still live in the city and not have to live in an apartment.

Come on up to HWY 2!! Index, Goldbar, Castle Rock, Leavenworth, Stevens Pass, the NORTH CASCADES; no shortage of climbing (unlike Eugene). If you ski: it's colder than Oregon and there are more options for backcountry or resort turns.

We just bought our first house in Sultan, which was kind of by default because we couldn't afford anything in Seattle. But now I'm so glad I live out there. I'm 15 minutes from Index and 40 minutes from Stevens Pass. I work in Bothell, so I only commute about 30 minutes and it's a nice drive on 522. The whole Skykomish Valley is coming up, mark my words. There are a few new developements going up in Sultan, and Monroe is almost a regular city.

We don't have kids, so I'm not too up on the school situation. But if the rest of the picture fits your life, I highly recommend this area.

move up here across the river to the Couv......you get alot more bang for your buck.....

Yeah... all the money you will save will go straight into your gas tank and paying psychiatrist bills for the 1-2 hours you will spend each day idling your car on I-5 counting the planes land at PDX... unless of course you can find employment in the couv...

I did hear that they do have excellent history teachers at Camas HS though :tup::)

move up here across the river to the Couv......you get alot more bang for your buck.....

Yeah... all the money you will save will go straight into your gas tank and paying psychiatrist bills for the 1-2 hours you will spend each day idling your car on I-5 counting the planes land at PDX... unless of course you can find employment in the couv...

:lmao:

I would seriously turn down a $1 million job to avoid commuting over the I-5/205 bridges every day. Life's too short to tolerate that.

Muffy, Sandy is not bad at all, IF you are not working in downtown PDX. If you are, that's a miserable commute. But if it's a job in Troutdale/Gresham (east side), I don't think it would be that bad. There are some beautiful spots in Sandy to live, and it's far enough out (right now) from PDX to feel like its own town.

I just consider Troutdale/Gresham, etc as kind of a no man's land with no character.

Personally if I'm going to live in a big city, I'm either going to be right in the middle of it, or way the hell out of it.

Personally if I'm going to live in a big city, I'm either going to be right in the middle of it, or way the hell out of it.

100% agreement. My wife and I said EXACTLY that. She walks the 3 blks to work daily, I use to ride my bike to work for @ 10 years, now I get a 1/2-45 min hour car commute.

Unfortunately, trying to cross into Vancouver to hit Beacon or O, or even just heading further out to Broughtons after work SUCKS. I friggan hate that rush hour drive. The Butte is an hour and thats about my tolerance level, although climbing out of the car to get on something at Beacon does take some of the sting out of that commute. There isn't much time left to climb after the drive: traffic dependant.

Muffy - do not even consider this side of the river unless bf's new job ends up in WA. We would have never moved over here from LO had hubby not been able to work out of the 'couv office. I've made that bridge commute a few timed due to appts, dance lessons, etc., and it's not worth it. Plus having to deal with the traffic and pay OR state taxes would totally suck.

Don't know about the schools in Sandy, but it seems like a nice little town. Along the river is beautiful. And you can't beat the location especially if you're a skier. The Fusion season pass is really reasonable. The boys could get their homework done and hit the slopes. Not a bad way to grow up!