what glue to reattach rand

markwebster

I had my rock shoes resoled at Dave Page. He did a good job, and got them back to me within a week via surface mail. I'd asked him to take a look at the rand, which was separating a little, but I guess he thought it was ok. As soon as I started wearing them again the rand separated off almost down to the sole. I don't have time now to send them back, so I'm wondering, has anyone ever tried to glue a rand down successfully? What was the process, and what glue did you use?

I used to have some vinyl car seat repair glue that might have worked for this job. It dried flexible, looked like molten asphalt in the can.

These are some vintage Fierys. I've had a couple pairs of newer shoes, but they don't fit my size 8,5E wide foot as well as the old Fierys. One pair even split down the middle of the sole. Plus, the Fierys match my antique rack better...gotta keep the retro man image going.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didnt have much luck with barge - though I was trying to patch a hole on the sole. It lasted one climb. :(

Barge cement would probably work ok. Certainly not to patch a hole though. As memory serves you supposed to coat both surfaces lightly, allow to dry slightly then press together to let it set. That said, the time's I've tried to reattach rand's/soles it was only good for a few climbs. You might actually ask Dave Page, or get in touch with Ramuta's down on Stewart. They actually ship the shoes to his son, but they come back damn near better than they came from the manufacturer and with your choice or rubber :tup::tup: Can't speak highly enough about those guys!