alpine light down mont bell jacket

jackthenewb

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought the parka version (hooded) at Jim Nelson's shop Pro Mountain Sports.

Nice jacket. Very light, very warm for the weight. I don't think it's going to be a Canadian Rockies ice climbing belay jacket, but for the Cascades, I think it's great.

I would prefer a drawstring at the waist rather than elastic because when you raise your arms, the jacket creeps up and then stays there. Kind of annoying.

It puffs up very well after being pulled out of its stuff sack. I think the down is good quality, though probably not as good as Feathered Friends or Western Mtnring.

Fabric is very lightweight. I seriously doubt it would hold up to chimneying or crampon/ice tool points, but that's the trade off you make for lightweight. Gotta be careful with it.

No significant down loss or manufacturing defects that I've noticed yet.

Fleecy lined pockets and collar area are nice.

Nylon on the inside elsewhere so it slides over layers easily.

Stuff sack provided is just the right size.

I got the brown one. Wish they had a red/orange/yellow for better photographs! HAHAHA!

14oz! and ~ $160!

Thanks Jim!

• 3 weeks later...

I was in feathered friends a few weeks ago and asked them why they don't create UL down gear because I was in the market for one. They said they won't make one because it wouldn't be very durable, ie the down would not last that long since it's so little down. *shrug* I ended up getting a UL montbell synthetic jacke that I am very happy with so far.