Favorite Sunscreen

Crackman

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is just one doctor's opinion, and it will change as new information and products come out, but I talked with a dermatologist last month who said he currently recommends one sunscreen as the best choice.

It's Neutrogena UltraSheer, SPF 55 or 70, with Helioplex.

He used to be head of Dermatology at Virginia Mason for over 10 years, got tired of working 7 days a week forever, and moved to the Polyclinic. He also was a teaching dermatologist at the UW and Harborview for many years.

Good guy, very sincere, very hardworking.

One thing to note about sunscreen is that the UV A light is the one that does the most serious damage, but it's effects are not visible because it destroys cells in the lower layers of the skin.

UV B light is what causes the skin to tan.

SPF ratings only apply to the less dangerous UV B light, and mean nothing in regard to UV A.

Also, those SPF ratings are done under unrealistic conditions, in that they apply a far heavier coat than anybody would in the real world. They also assume it hasn't worn off, which it does every few hours in real world usage.

Nothing is better than clothing and hats, and doctors are trying to get people to understand that most exposure happens in everyday life, driving, walking, and during outdoor activities. They would like people to start using sunscreen the same as people do things like shave or apply makeup every morning.

Anyway, just one perspective.

Actually I have given up on Sunscreen. I cover up.

Light weight long sleeve poly pro top. Hiking pants. OR Sahara Desert king of hat that comes over the back of the neck. I added some velco to cover my big schnoz. I really love that hat I use it always when ever I am in the sun, especially driving.

Also, I find keeping the sun directly off helps to keep me from getting over heated.

I like a 40-60 A/B with Titanium Dioxide. Keep slathering it on until you look like Casper. UVx has a hard time getting through metal.

I'll dig my current juice and get the name for you.

Oh, and I cover. The sun can pump about 1kw of energy into 1 sq meter of area, which (if I got the math right) will evaporate about 2.4L of water per hour just to remain at a constant temp. Of course, we're not perfect black bodies orthogonal to the incident rays, and we have wind, etc, but clearly the physics are not on our side.

The camel-oriented countries have it right; you run a lot cooler if you wear your shade.

As they say, only mad dogs and Englishmen...

PS: I'm using the REI store brand right now; seems to do the trick.

Edited by DavidHiers

I second the shade/cover up thing. I also have had good luck with Bullfrog, I especially like the Quickgel stuff, it's only spf 36 but stays on really well and is about the only thing I've found that doesn't sweat off into my eyes.

In Peru this season I also used "Sol" high altitude sunscreen, Feathered Friends has it. Clear zinc oxide that only makes you look a little like casper, stayed on well and didn't sting my eyes.

I've had great results from Dermatone products especially on long, sweaty snow slogs. Coming from a person VERY prone to sunburn, don't forget to screen inside the nostrils and ears. As the Doctor says, clothing and hats work the best, I HAVE to wear a hat or my scalp burns every time. Anyone else burn the roof of their mouth during long alpine outings in the sun?

I know this is just one doctor's opinion, and it will change as new information and products come out, but I talked with a dermatologist last month

Just wanted to be clear because the wording may be confusing. I'm not a doctor, but spoke to one and was posting the information he gave me.

So how do you keep from burning the roof of your mouth?

Did you cover your face with something lightweight or just force yourself to breathe mostly through your nose?

I use protech stuff myself. I burn really easily, and I sweat like a pig. The protech stuff is a moisturizer and a sunscreen and it stays on or in my skin while i'm sweating.

Also, I don't get greased out using it.

One neat gimmick they have is that you can refill the little tube from the big tube, so that you can just carry what you need with you on a trip rather than have TSA take it away from you or whatever.

It's kinda expensive, but it's totally worth it.